Marcio Jose Sanchez, Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Joe Staley relished his shining moment after the offensive lineman caught a 17-yard pass for a first down and celebrated madly. Nose tackle and part-time fullback Isaac Sopoaga got into the action with an 18-yard reception.
The San Francisco 49ers know they're going well when the big boys are catching balls. They know things are right when a flat second half still leads to a 10-point victory. And, when, before October is over, the team already holds a commanding four-game lead in the NFC West.
And the way they have set themselves up, Jim Harbaugh's 49ers (6-1) could clinch their division and the franchise's first playoff berth in nine years before that highly anticipated matchup with the coach's big brother, John, and the Baltimore Ravens on Thanksgiving.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28