LOS ANGELES — Just 10 weeks after her star-studded, made-for-TV wedding, reality starlet Kim Kardashian filed for divorce Monday from pro basketball player Kris Humphries, citing irreconcilable differences.
"I hope everyone understands this was not an easy decision," said the "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" star in a statement. "I had hoped this marriage was forever but sometimes things don't work out as planned."
The filing in Los Angeles County Superior Court provided few details, other than to state the couple have a prenuptial agreement that will dictate how they divide up their assets. Kardashian is asking that both sides pay their own attorneys' costs and that a judge terminate Humphries' rights to spousal support.
Kardashian, 31, and Humphries, 26, were wed Aug. 20 at a lavish private estate near Santa Barbara, California. It was the first marriage for Humphries, who last played for the NBA's New Jersey Nets, and the second for Kardashian, who was married to music producer Damon Thomas from 2000 to 2004.
Kardashian's sisters and TV co-stars Kourtney Kardashian, 32, and Khloe Kardashian, 27, served as co-maids of honor.
Kim Kardashian and Humphries began dating late last year and announced their engagement in May. He proposed on bended knee with a 20.5-carat ring by spelling out "Will you marry me?" in rose petals.
The couple's marriage was the subject of a two-part special on E! Entertainment Television, which televises Kardashian's show that follows the model and her family.
Court filings show that Kardashian signed the petition on Sunday.
Kardashian said she and Humphries "remain friends and wish each other the best."
Kardashian's divorce attorney, Laura Wasser, did not return a phone message seeking comment.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be stopped,...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 10
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7