DES MOINES, Iowa — Trailing in a new Iowa poll, Republican Rick Perry says in a new ad running there that his jobs record is more important than the candidate's on-camera polish.
The Texas governor is trying to convert criticism of his performances during recent debates into an asset by arguing that President Barack Obama -- and implicitly his chief GOP rival Mitt Romney -- are better speakers than leaders.
Perry says: "If you're looking for a slick politician, or a guy with great teleprompter skills, we already have that, and he's destroying our economy. I'm a doer not a talker."
Perry had support from 7 percent of likely Iowa GOP caucus-goers in a poll published Sunday by The Des Moines Register.
Perry, with an aggressive Iowa strategy, is expected back twice this week.
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Looking to win a battle in the 16th century?...
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 22
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 20
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 10
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10