Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
As a father who is raising my family vegan, I was really happy to read that Granite schools are joining the Meatless Monday campaign. The campaign and meatless eating are really picking up momentum across the country and for good reasons.
Today's factory farms cram thousands of animals in small cages or crates that are so small the animals can hardly move more than a few inches their whole lives. These factory farms are huge polluters, responsible for vast amounts of air and water pollution.
Eating less (or no meat) is also better for our health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently announced that rates of childhood obesity have more than tripled in the past 30 years. That's a staggering figure. Reducing our meat consumption and teaching kids to enjoy fruits and vegetables is important for so many reasons.
Despite the misconception of a vegan diet being unhealthy, our son has met and sometimes exceeded what is considered to be the healthy norm for a child his age. I hope Granite will keep Meatless Monday going.
Salt Lake CIty
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Letter: Unpleasant campaign season
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 46
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 38
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 37
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 30
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22