Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
As a father who is raising my family vegan, I was really happy to read that Granite schools are joining the Meatless Monday campaign. The campaign and meatless eating are really picking up momentum across the country and for good reasons.
Today's factory farms cram thousands of animals in small cages or crates that are so small the animals can hardly move more than a few inches their whole lives. These factory farms are huge polluters, responsible for vast amounts of air and water pollution.
Eating less (or no meat) is also better for our health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently announced that rates of childhood obesity have more than tripled in the past 30 years. That's a staggering figure. Reducing our meat consumption and teaching kids to enjoy fruits and vegetables is important for so many reasons.
Despite the misconception of a vegan diet being unhealthy, our son has met and sometimes exceeded what is considered to be the healthy norm for a child his age. I hope Granite will keep Meatless Monday going.
Salt Lake CIty
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage debate...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 102
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage... 81
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 62
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 35