Chaz Walker topped the team with 11 tackles. Ryan Lacy, Matt Martinez and Mo Lee had interceptions, while Trevor Reilly had a fumble recovery.
"I feel like our defense is getting more and more confident each game," said defensive lineman Dave Kruger.
The combination of getting takeaways and limiting giveaways allowed the Utes to snap a two-game skid at home and pick up what had been an elusive first Pac-12 victory.
Christopher acknowledged it felt good to finally get that off their back.
"We're working and just trying to get to our bowl game," he said while expressing hope that the Utes can stay on path and just keep winning. "We're doing some good things right now."
Safety Brian Blechen noted that there was a feeling in the air this past week that everyone was focused and sick of losing.
The Utes did something about it, doing so without outside distractions..
"We do a pretty good job of circling the wagons here," Whittingham said. "And just kind of blocking everything out and not letting anything really be a factor for us externally."
Utes on the air
Utah (4-4, 1-4) at Arizona (2-6, 1-5)
Saturday, 5 p.m.
Radio: 700AMHeady goes here
- BYU football: Cougars generally happy with...
- How will NCAA selection committee evaluate...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Kyle Collinsworth already...
- Linebacker Kyle Van Noy says he discovered...
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- Utah Valley's NCAA hopes dashed with loss to...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars score straight...
- Utah Jazz: Clippers feast on Jazz turnovers...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 113
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 58
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30