Chaz Walker topped the team with 11 tackles. Ryan Lacy, Matt Martinez and Mo Lee had interceptions, while Trevor Reilly had a fumble recovery.
"I feel like our defense is getting more and more confident each game," said defensive lineman Dave Kruger.
The combination of getting takeaways and limiting giveaways allowed the Utes to snap a two-game skid at home and pick up what had been an elusive first Pac-12 victory.
Christopher acknowledged it felt good to finally get that off their back.
"We're working and just trying to get to our bowl game," he said while expressing hope that the Utes can stay on path and just keep winning. "We're doing some good things right now."
Safety Brian Blechen noted that there was a feeling in the air this past week that everyone was focused and sick of losing.
The Utes did something about it, doing so without outside distractions..
"We do a pretty good job of circling the wagons here," Whittingham said. "And just kind of blocking everything out and not letting anything really be a factor for us externally."
Utes on the air
Utah (4-4, 1-4) at Arizona (2-6, 1-5)
Saturday, 5 p.m.
Radio: 700AMHeady goes here
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34