After last week's lackluster 6-3 win over the Seahawks, it didn't get much better for the Browns. They failed to reach the end zone for seven quarters before Cribbs scored.
McCoy lost the ball on the second play from scrimmage after he was stripped by Ahmad Brooks. Isaac Sopoaga recovered at the Cleveland 20. Gore ran 4 yards for the first points. McCoy was sacked four more times after five last week by the Seahawks.
San Francisco's lopsided first half told the tale far before the clock finally wound down.
First downs: 15-6. Total yards: 253-93. Time of possession: 18:58-11:02. Rushing yards: 145-25.
Michael Crabtree caught a 2-yard pass to put the Niners ahead 17-0 just before halftime. Dashon Goldson made his first interception of 2011 in the end zone in the third quarter.
Left tackle Joe Staley even was in on the action, catching a 17-yard pass from Smith for a first down midway through the first quarter for his first career reception.
He jumped up in celebration and signaled the first down by emphatically pointing down field with both hands. Sopoaga had an 18-yard reception late against the Browns' fourth-ranked defense.
49ers wideout Braylon Edwards returned against his former club in his first action since right knee surgery after getting hurt against the Cowboys. He had four catches to help send Cleveland home with another hard-hitting defeat.
"It's two tough losses," said Hardesty, who was walking around the locker room after the game but will have a precautionary MRI on Monday. "Both times, making the long flight out here, we wanted to come out here and win. We didn't get that done."
Antonio Gonzalez can be reached at: www.twitter.com/agonzalezAP
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 39
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20