Utah football: Utes break through, roll past Beavers for first Pac-12 victory
Utes cruise past Beavers to earn first Pac-12 win
After having their lead cut to 24-6, the Utes suffered additional adversity two plays later when White fumbled and the Beavers recovered it on the Utah 12.
A reversal of fortune soon followed, however.
On Oregon State's third play in the ensuing possession, linebacker Chaz Walker jarred the ball away from running back Malcolm Agnew and Trevor Reilly secured the fumble on the 1-yard line to thwart the threat — sort of.
Just one minute later, a Utah holding penalty in the end zone resulted in a team safety and two points for the Beavers.
An exchange of punts followed before linebacker Matt Martinez intercepted Mannion with less than five minutes to play. Utah then took 3:08 off the clock before concluding all scoring with Petersen's second field goal of the game.
The victory ended Utah's two-game skid at home and kept the Utes from dropping to 0-5 in conference play for the first time since 1986.
"It was really important (to win). We hadn't been playing the way we wanted to," said safety Brian Blechen. "That's on us and it's up to us to turn it around. This was the game to do it. We owe it to ourselves, coaches and fans."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34