Tom Smart, Deseret News
The Utes dominated the first half and survived a stagnant and sloppy second half, as they got their first Pac-12 victory, 27-8 over Oregon State on Saturday.
The Utes' defense yielded just 262 total yards to the Beavers, while intercepting quarterback Sean Mannion three times, sacking him six times and adding a fumble recovery.
John White IV ran wild for 205 yards and a score on 35 carries. Jon Hays was just 6-of-14 for 62 yards and a pair of touchdowns, but he did not throw any interceptions.
A 48-yard Coleman Petersen field goal was followed by a Hays-to-Dres Anderson 35-yard touchdown pass, giving the Utes a quick 10-0 lead.
A big defensive play by Mo Lee — a 29-yard interception — set up White’s touchdown run for six yards two plays later.
White busted a 60-yard run that led to a 3-yard scoring catch by DeVonte Christopher, pushing Utah’s advantage to 24-0 with less than thirty seconds to go to halftime.
Whatever momentum Utah built in the first thirty minutes of play was slowed after halftime when the Utes turned the ball over on a fumble and then gave up a safety to Oregon State.
But the only points the Beavers managed to get on the board came from a Mannion-to-Markus Wheaton 3-yard score and a safety shortly thereafter.
Chris, who has been covering sports ranging from high school preps to professional teams for almost twenty years, feels that football season is the best time of the year. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 83
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 39
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 39
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 23