Tom Smart, Deseret News
The Utes dominated the first half and survived a stagnant and sloppy second half, as they got their first Pac-12 victory, 27-8 over Oregon State on Saturday.
The Utes' defense yielded just 262 total yards to the Beavers, while intercepting quarterback Sean Mannion three times, sacking him six times and adding a fumble recovery.
John White IV ran wild for 205 yards and a score on 35 carries. Jon Hays was just 6-of-14 for 62 yards and a pair of touchdowns, but he did not throw any interceptions.
A 48-yard Coleman Petersen field goal was followed by a Hays-to-Dres Anderson 35-yard touchdown pass, giving the Utes a quick 10-0 lead.
A big defensive play by Mo Lee — a 29-yard interception — set up White’s touchdown run for six yards two plays later.
White busted a 60-yard run that led to a 3-yard scoring catch by DeVonte Christopher, pushing Utah’s advantage to 24-0 with less than thirty seconds to go to halftime.
Whatever momentum Utah built in the first thirty minutes of play was slowed after halftime when the Utes turned the ball over on a fumble and then gave up a safety to Oregon State.
But the only points the Beavers managed to get on the board came from a Mannion-to-Markus Wheaton 3-yard score and a safety shortly thereafter.
Chris, who has been covering sports ranging from high school preps to professional teams for almost twenty years, feels that football season is the best time of the year. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 69
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 43