A new survey from the Public Religion Research Institute reveals that white evangelical Protestants are becoming increasingly attuned to the fact that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Released Thursday, the data shows 53 percent of white evangelicals correctly identify Romney as LDS or Mormon — a marked increase from July, when only 44 percent of the same Protestant subset knew about Romney's religion. This upward tick occurred during a time when the general public's ability to peg Romney's faith has changed relatively little.
"Only 42 percent of Americans can correctly identify Mitt Romney's religion as Mormon," Public Religion Research Institute writes. "This level of knowledge remains unchanged from July 2011, when 4-in-10 (40 percent) Americans correctly identified Mitt Romney's religion as Mormon."
Staying on the topic of Romney and religion, just last week Public Religion Research Institute concluded that a large part of Romney's popularity in Nevada — where the latest polling shows the former Massachusetts governor leading runner-up Herman Cain by as many as 12 percentage points — stems from the Silver State's relatively high percentage of Mormons.
"Nevada (has) a much higher concentration of Mormon voters (16.2 percent) than its rival early primary and caucus states. For example, in New Hampshire … Mormons comprise a scant 1.1 percent of registered voters. In Iowa, which will hold its caucus on Jan. 3, Mormons are only 1.4 percent of registered voters. South Carolina and Florida, which will hold their primaries in late January, have even more miniscule percentages (0.1 percent and 0.4 percent, respectively).
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- Taiwan plane crash survivor crawls out of...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13