The Tuesday confrontations came as officials complained about what they described as deteriorating safety, sanitation and health issues at the camp.
The same concerns have been raised about camps in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Protesters at San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza were bracing for a police raid early Thursday when they were visited by several city supervisors and a state senator. The officials expressed their support.
San Francisco police warned the protesters earlier in the week that they could be arrested on a variety of sanitation or illegal camping violations.
There were reports that police in riot gear had set up a staging area near the plaza early Thursday morning. But police spokesman Carlos Manfredi said officers routinely gather to practice crowd control procedures, and there were no plans to shut down the Occupy protest.
He said police were still seeking voluntary compliance.
"We're still continuing to monitor the situation," he said.
Anti-Wall Street protesters camped out in downtown Los Angeles say they're planning to continue their demonstration indefinitely, although both they and the mayor's office were eyeing alternate sites.
Occupy LA organizer Gia Trimble said the protest has swelled to nearly 500 tents on the lawn around City Hall and organizers are eyeing possibly moving the encampment to a larger piece of city property nearby in downtown Los Angeles.
Associated Press writers Jason Dearen and Sudhin Thanawala in San Francisco, and Christina Hoag in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- By changing its name, ABC Family clarifies...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- 'Harry Potter' e-books come to life in new...
- Finnish schools might understand something...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 65
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 52
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Mother-son bond over guns links Oregon,... 22
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 21
- Clinton pitches new gun controls... 15
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15