The Tuesday confrontations came as officials complained about what they described as deteriorating safety, sanitation and health issues at the camp.
The same concerns have been raised about camps in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Protesters at San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza were bracing for a police raid early Thursday when they were visited by several city supervisors and a state senator. The officials expressed their support.
San Francisco police warned the protesters earlier in the week that they could be arrested on a variety of sanitation or illegal camping violations.
There were reports that police in riot gear had set up a staging area near the plaza early Thursday morning. But police spokesman Carlos Manfredi said officers routinely gather to practice crowd control procedures, and there were no plans to shut down the Occupy protest.
He said police were still seeking voluntary compliance.
"We're still continuing to monitor the situation," he said.
Anti-Wall Street protesters camped out in downtown Los Angeles say they're planning to continue their demonstration indefinitely, although both they and the mayor's office were eyeing alternate sites.
Occupy LA organizer Gia Trimble said the protest has swelled to nearly 500 tents on the lawn around City Hall and organizers are eyeing possibly moving the encampment to a larger piece of city property nearby in downtown Los Angeles.
Associated Press writers Jason Dearen and Sudhin Thanawala in San Francisco, and Christina Hoag in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- How government policy created ghettos,...
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God told me...
- Illinois the top party school in the US; BYU...
- Comic Amy Schumer, Sen. Schumer call for...
- Cake: The new favorite mode for American...
- Cake: The new favorite mode for... 45
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 41
- Job insecurity is the new normal.... 33
- Abortion supporters get help from... 28
- Obama rule for power plants to compel... 23
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 21
- Some Americans refuse to give up on... 21
- Joe Biden for president? Allies mulling... 16