Ravell Call, Deseret News
Friday, 6 p.m.
Cowboys Stadium (80,000)
Surface, Field Turf
Radio: 1160AM, 102.7FM
Weather: Partly cloudy, with temperatures in the mid 60s
For TCU ... the Horned Frogs, who are Big 12-bound, have already lost two games this season. They're looking to show that they are still worthy of being considered a national power.
For BYU ... the Cougars would love to end a three-game losing streak to TCU after back-to-back-to-back humiliating losses.
For TCU ... the Frogs haven't lost to a team outside of Texas since the 2010 Fiesta Bowl against Boise State.
For BYU ... the Cougars have won five consecutive games overall. BYU is 5-2 at neutral sites under coach Bronco Mendenhall.
TCU will win if ... the Frogs can get pressure on quarterback Riley Nelson, force turnovers and run the ball consistently.
BYU will win if ... the Cougars can avoid mistakes and not allow TCU to make big plays offensively and defensively. BYU needs to get off to a fast start and build momentum.
Player to watch
Riley Nelson, BYU quarterback: The Cougar QB will be making his fourth consecutive start. He's undefeated as a starter, but can he work his magic against a tough defensive team like TCU?
BYU's offensive line vs. TCU's front seven: The Cougar O-line must provide protection for Nelson. In previous meetings, the Frogs have been able to get sacks and force turnovers because of its pressure on the quarterback.
TCU: Left tackle Michael Thompson is out for the season after suffering a knee injury last week against New Mexico.
BYU: Defensive linemen Hebron Fangupo (ankle) and Romney Fuga (knee), who were injured in the Oregon State game, are expected to return to action after being sidelined last week against Idaho State.
TCU visits Wyoming on Nov. 5. BYU has a bye next week before hosting Idaho on Nov. 12.
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 3 at Ole Miss W, 14-13
Sept. 10 at Texas L, 17-16
Sept. 17 vs. Utah L, 54-10
Sept. 23 vs. UCF W, 24-17
Sept. 30 vs. Utah St. W, 27-24
Oct. 08vs. San Jose St.W, 29-16
Oct. 15 at Oregon St. W, 38-28
Oct. 22 vs. Idaho St. W, 56-3
Oct. 28 at TCU 6 p.m. (ESPN)
Nov.12 vs. Idaho TBA (ESPN*)
Nov. 19vs. New Mexico St.TBA (ESPN*)
Dec. 3 at Hawai'i5:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
*To be aired on one of the ESPN networks
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 68
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27