Darryl Bush, Associated Press
OAKLAND, Calif. — Organizers prepared Thursday to defy Oakland's prohibition on overnight camping at the site of ongoing Occupy Wall Street protests and to hold a vigil for the Iraq War veteran who suffered a fractured skull during a clash between demonstrators and police.
Shake Anderson, an organizer with Occupy Oakland, said half a dozen tents were erected on the plaza where police armed with tear gas and bean bag rounds disbanded a 15-day-old encampment. More tents, food and supplies were expected to arrive during the evening meeting and vigil for Scott Olsen, the injured ex-Marine, Anderson said.
"We believe in what we're doing," Anderson said. "No one is afraid. If anything, we're going to show there's strength in numbers."
Olsen was transferred Thursday from the emergency room to the intensive care unit at Oakland's Highland Hospital as his condition was upgraded to fair, said Curt Olsen, a hospital spokesman.
Alameda County Medical Center Chief Surgeon Dr. Alden Harken said Olsen has improved dramatically since he was hospitalized unconscious Tuesday night with a fractured skull and bruised brain that were causing seizures.
By Thursday afternoon, Harken says, the 24-year-old Olsen was interacting with his parents, doing math equations and otherwise showing signs of "high-level cognitive functioning." The doctor said he may require surgery, but that's unlikely.
"He's got a relatively small area of injury and he's got his youth going for him. So both of those are very favorable," the doctor said.
Police early Tuesday cleared the plaza after it grew to dozens of tents and raised health and safety concerns among city officials. Later that day, officers and sheriff's deputies from several Bay Area agencies clashed a second time in the streets with demonstrators angered by the move.
Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan has promised an investigation into whether officers used excessive force during the second confrontation. He has also addressed Olsen's condition, saying one focus of the review would be determining how the veteran was hurt.
Olsen, 24, was marching with other protesters Tuesday night when he was injured, said Dottie Guy, of the Iraq Veterans Against the War. Guy's group said he was struck by some sort of projectile fired by police officers and sheriff's deputies from multiple agencies who were trying to disperse the crowd that had gathered to protest the city's decision to dismantle the camp outside City Hall.
Dramatic footage of a bleeding Olsen being carried from the chaotic scene, marchers wading through clouds of tear gas and officers stained with paint thrown by some people in the crowd have sparked sympathy marches in other cities and criticism of the police.
In a conciliatory gesture, the city on Wednesday allowed protesters back into the plaza, but said people had to stay out of a fenced-off area that still was being cleaned and would have to leave the area by 10 p.m.
Hundreds of Occupy Wall Street protesters returned to the plaza and within hours, the fence had been torn down and stacked into an impromptu sculpture. But police maintained a minimal presence and only a small handful of people defied the curfew and stayed overnight.
"We have decided to have a minimal police presence at the plaza for the short term and build a community effort to improve communications and dialogue with the demonstrators," Mayor Jean Quan said.
The Tuesday confrontations came as officials complained about what they described as deteriorating safety, sanitation and health issues at the camp.
The same concerns have been raised about camps in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Protesters at San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza were bracing for a police raid early Thursday when they were visited by several city supervisors and a state senator. The officials expressed their support.
San Francisco police warned the protesters earlier in the week that they could be arrested on a variety of sanitation or illegal camping violations.
There were reports that police in riot gear had set up a staging area near the plaza early Thursday morning. But police spokesman Carlos Manfredi said officers routinely gather to practice crowd control procedures, and there were no plans to shut down the Occupy protest.
He said police were still seeking voluntary compliance.
"We're still continuing to monitor the situation," he said.
Anti-Wall Street protesters camped out in downtown Los Angeles say they're planning to continue their demonstration indefinitely, although both they and the mayor's office were eyeing alternate sites.
Occupy LA organizer Gia Trimble said the protest has swelled to nearly 500 tents on the lawn around City Hall and organizers are eyeing possibly moving the encampment to a larger piece of city property nearby in downtown Los Angeles.
Associated Press writers Jason Dearen and Sudhin Thanawala in San Francisco and Christina Hoag in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- 32 teens escape from Nashville detention center
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- AP Analysis: Putin digs in for long Ukraine...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 23
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 17
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 10
- Mexico authorities stage midnight... 7