SALT LAKE CITY — When asked if some sort of Wildcat formation might solve Utah's woes at quarterback, head coach Kyle Whittingham put on his best poker face.
"That's one answer. That's one possibility," he said. "But whether or not we have it this week remains to be seen."
Whittingham acknowledged its been in the package two or three games this year, but used sparingly with Griff Robles.
At least two former high school quarterbacks, however, might be intriguing dual-threat options as well.
How about safety Brian Blechen and wide receiver DeVonte Christopher? Each had stellar prep careers at quarterback?
"It's always in the back of our mind. We'll make jokes about it," Blechen said while expressing faith in starting quarterback Jon Hays and backup Robles. "But, yeah, if they call on us, I'm sure me or DeVonte would be happy to do it."
That goes for anything the team needs.
"Whatever they want I would do," Blechen said. "We're all just trying to work hard and get these next couple of wins."
HAYS CONFIDENT: Despite a shaky performance in last week's 34-10 loss at California, Hays insists he's definitely not giving up in his quest for improvement. The junior is determined to work through it.
"If I'm not going to make the plays and if I do things wrong I've just got to be tough," Hays said. "You can't complain. Nobody feels sorry for you. I've just got to get done what I've got to get done."
DEVONTE'S IMPACT: If, as expected, receiving leader DeVonte Christopher is able to play Saturday against Oregon State, it could open things up for Utah's ground game.
"We hope it helps a lot," Whittingham said of preventing opponents from loading the box on the Utes and making things difficult for running back John White. "When we have DeVonte out there it gives us one more weapon on the outside to discourage teams from doing that."
Email: email@example.comTwitter: @DirkFacer
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 167
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 75
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 23