SALT LAKE CITY — When asked if some sort of Wildcat formation might solve Utah's woes at quarterback, head coach Kyle Whittingham put on his best poker face.
"That's one answer. That's one possibility," he said. "But whether or not we have it this week remains to be seen."
Whittingham acknowledged its been in the package two or three games this year, but used sparingly with Griff Robles.
At least two former high school quarterbacks, however, might be intriguing dual-threat options as well.
How about safety Brian Blechen and wide receiver DeVonte Christopher? Each had stellar prep careers at quarterback?
"It's always in the back of our mind. We'll make jokes about it," Blechen said while expressing faith in starting quarterback Jon Hays and backup Robles. "But, yeah, if they call on us, I'm sure me or DeVonte would be happy to do it."
That goes for anything the team needs.
"Whatever they want I would do," Blechen said. "We're all just trying to work hard and get these next couple of wins."
HAYS CONFIDENT: Despite a shaky performance in last week's 34-10 loss at California, Hays insists he's definitely not giving up in his quest for improvement. The junior is determined to work through it.
"If I'm not going to make the plays and if I do things wrong I've just got to be tough," Hays said. "You can't complain. Nobody feels sorry for you. I've just got to get done what I've got to get done."
DEVONTE'S IMPACT: If, as expected, receiving leader DeVonte Christopher is able to play Saturday against Oregon State, it could open things up for Utah's ground game.
"We hope it helps a lot," Whittingham said of preventing opponents from loading the box on the Utes and making things difficult for running back John White. "When we have DeVonte out there it gives us one more weapon on the outside to discourage teams from doing that."
Email: email@example.comTwitter: @DirkFacer
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 20
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8