EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — The Minnesota Vikings receiver corps is a unit in turmoil these days, with veteran Bernard Berrian getting shown the door for underperforming earlier this week.
That just means the receivers who are still around have to work that much harder to make sure rookie quarterback Christian Ponder gets up to speed as quickly as possible. Ponder made his first career start in a 33-27 loss to the Green Bay Packers last weekend.
This week he faces fellow rookie Cam Newton, the No. 1 overall pick who has surprised some with his immediate success in Carolina. Newton credits veteran receiver Steve Smith with helping ease his transition from Auburn to the Panthers.
Ponder says he has developed a good rapport with his receivers and he only expects that to improve.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28