EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — The Minnesota Vikings receiver corps is a unit in turmoil these days, with veteran Bernard Berrian getting shown the door for underperforming earlier this week.
That just means the receivers who are still around have to work that much harder to make sure rookie quarterback Christian Ponder gets up to speed as quickly as possible. Ponder made his first career start in a 33-27 loss to the Green Bay Packers last weekend.
This week he faces fellow rookie Cam Newton, the No. 1 overall pick who has surprised some with his immediate success in Carolina. Newton credits veteran receiver Steve Smith with helping ease his transition from Auburn to the Panthers.
Ponder says he has developed a good rapport with his receivers and he only expects that to improve.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 81
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25