EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — The Minnesota Vikings receiver corps is a unit in turmoil these days, with veteran Bernard Berrian getting shown the door for underperforming earlier this week.
That just means the receivers who are still around have to work that much harder to make sure rookie quarterback Christian Ponder gets up to speed as quickly as possible. Ponder made his first career start in a 33-27 loss to the Green Bay Packers last weekend.
This week he faces fellow rookie Cam Newton, the No. 1 overall pick who has surprised some with his immediate success in Carolina. Newton credits veteran receiver Steve Smith with helping ease his transition from Auburn to the Panthers.
Ponder says he has developed a good rapport with his receivers and he only expects that to improve.
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 32
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22