Excluding newcomers Diamond Ranch and Stansbury, all of this year's record 69 contestants made the postseason at least once between 2007 and 2010. Fifty-six teams – 84% – of last season's participants return.
American Fork and Timpanogos see postseason action for the first time since 2007 and Brighton, Layton Christian, North Sanpete and Ogden for the first time since 2008. Viewmont is back in for the eighth time in nine years after a one-year hiatus.
Parowan is missing for the first time since 2000, a streak of 10 straight appearances. Gunnison, North Sevier, Pleasant Grove and South Sevier sit out for the first time since 2004 – six playoffs ago – while Mountain View, Pine View and Union stay home for the first time since 2006.
Diamond Ranch is the 11th team to qualify for the playoffs its first year of varsity football. Of the previous 10, only the 1980 Mountain View Bruins won a first round game (24-14 over Ogden). MV was also the only first-year school to ever host a playoff contest.
Stansbury is only the 14th school to host its first-ever postseason game. Nine of the previous 13 won that initial contest. Syracuse, in 2008, was the last team to achieve that and then advanced to the 5A semifinals.
Just nine schools have made the playoffs more than 80% of the time that school has played football. Four have 100% attendance: Desert Hills makes its fourth appearance, Herriman, its second and Diamond Ranch, its first. But Rich has been in all 27 years of the school's existence.
Hunter has been in 21 of its 22 seasons, Juan Diego 11 of its 12 and Timpview 31 of 35. Lone Peak's been in 13 of its 15 seasons, Fremont 15 of its 18, and Skyline 41 of its 50.
Top-20 Playoff Appearances
1. Millard, 59
2. Box Elder, 55
3. Delta, 51
4. Orem, 48
5. Grand, 46
6. Beaver, Logan, 45
8. Davis, Morgan, North Summit, Wasatch, 44
12. Kanab, Springville, 42
14. Jordan, Skyline, 41
16. Monticello, 40
17. Bingham, East, Judge, Provo, 39
Except for Provo, all of the Top-20 are postseason repeaters from 2010.
Millard has played in 120 state games, Skyline, 112 state games, Delta, 103, Davis, 95, and Beaver, 91.
Top-20 Postseason Victories
1. Skyline, 86
2. Millard, 75
3. Delta, 62
4. Davis, 59
5. Beaver, 56
6. Timpview, 54
7. San Juan, 51
8. Judge Memorial, Kanab, 50
10. Dixie, Highland, 48
12. North Summit, Orem, 47
14. Morgan, 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 39
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17