EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Tom Coughlin is doing more than getting the New York Giants ready for the Miami Dolphins this week.
This is a doubleheader week for the 65-year-old Coughlin. The early game comes on Friday when the seventh annual Tom Coughlin Jay Fund Foundation charity event is held in Manhattan to raise money and provide emotional support for families of children with cancer.
This year's event at Cipriani will honor Steve Sabol, president of NFL Films, for his philanthropic work on behalf of children and Timothy H. Shinn, president and CEO of United Crane Rentals of Kenilworth, N.J. for his philanthropy and professional and civic achievements.
Keli Coughlin, the coach's daughter, is the executive director of the TC Jay Fund Foundation. She has overseen the "Champions For Children" gala since its inception in 2005.
The foundation was started to honor the memory of the late Jay McGillis, the Boston College safety from Tom Coughlin's coaching days with the Eagles in the early 1990s. McGillis, a favorite of Coughlin's, lost his battle to leukemia.
"It's very close to his heart but that's just the guy he is," said Giants guard Chris Snee, Coughlin's son-in-law. "When he is committed to something and attaches his name to the work, he puts all of his effort into it.
"The fact that Keli obviously does the majority of work is very helpful, especially this time of year, but I am sure he is up there in his office and he has written 10 different speeches," Snee said. "It's very close to him. The reason for that is his relationship with the McGillis family and just the love he had for Jay, his parents and the rest of the family."
About 25 current and former Giants are expected to attend the banquet, which is open to the public.
For more information: WWW.TCJAYFUND.ORG
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 77
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 64
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Annual instate college basketball... 37
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 32