Weber State Basketball: Bamforth, Lillard and Bullinger have strong showings in scrimmage
OGDEN — Fans got their first look at the Weber State men's basketball team Wednesday night during the annual Purple and White scrimmage at the Dee Events Center. The Wildcats, who are picked to win the Big Sky title, had some strong showings in the 20-minute scrimmage.
Junior guard Scott Bamforth led the team with 20 points shooting 6-of-10 from the field, including knocking down three 3-pointers.
In his first game action since breaking his foot last December junior guard Damian Lillard finished with 14 points on 6-of-11 shooting from the field.
Senior Kyle Bullinger finished with seven points and also led the team with seven rebounds.
Junior transfer Davion Berry had 16 points and was 6-of-7 from the field. Berry will sit out this season after transferring to Weber State from Cal State Monterrey Bay.
"Our team was excited to be out and play in front of our fans," said WSU head coach Randy Rahe, who enters his sixth season as head coach. "I thought at times we executed well and shot the ball well. It was a good chance to work on some things. We still have a lot of work to do defensively and that is the No. 1 thing we're working on now."
As a team Weber State shot 57 percent from the field, including 11-25 from 3-point land.
The Wildcats will next be in action Nov. 7 for an exhibition game with Colorado-Colorado Springs. The regular season begins Nov. 11 with a home game with Northern New Mexico.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14