COLUMBIA, S.C. — Rick Perry now is saying that he has no doubt that President Barack Obama is an American citizen. The Texas governor made the comment in an interview with Bay News 9's "Political Connections" in Tampa, Fla., and the St. Petersburg Times.
Perry said that he was just — in his words — "having some fun with Donald Trump" when he stoked widely debunked claims that Obama was born outside of the United States.
Perry says he wasn't expressing doubts about Obama when he raised the issue in a series of media interviews. In one he said that the birth certificate issue as "a good issue to keep alive."
On Tuesday, he refused to answer a reporter's direct question about whether he believed the president was born in the United States.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- Oscar Pistorius starts serving 5-year prison...
- Jodi Arias sentencing retrial opens in Arizona
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 53
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8