COLUMBIA, S.C. — Rick Perry now is saying that he has no doubt that President Barack Obama is an American citizen. The Texas governor made the comment in an interview with Bay News 9's "Political Connections" in Tampa, Fla., and the St. Petersburg Times.
Perry said that he was just — in his words — "having some fun with Donald Trump" when he stoked widely debunked claims that Obama was born outside of the United States.
Perry says he wasn't expressing doubts about Obama when he raised the issue in a series of media interviews. In one he said that the birth certificate issue as "a good issue to keep alive."
On Tuesday, he refused to answer a reporter's direct question about whether he believed the president was born in the United States.
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- 7 in 10 will need long-term care, ready or not
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23