COLUMBIA, S.C. — Rick Perry now is saying that he has no doubt that President Barack Obama is an American citizen. The Texas governor made the comment in an interview with Bay News 9's "Political Connections" in Tampa, Fla., and the St. Petersburg Times.
Perry said that he was just — in his words — "having some fun with Donald Trump" when he stoked widely debunked claims that Obama was born outside of the United States.
Perry says he wasn't expressing doubts about Obama when he raised the issue in a series of media interviews. In one he said that the birth certificate issue as "a good issue to keep alive."
On Tuesday, he refused to answer a reporter's direct question about whether he believed the president was born in the United States.
- Fans go wild over 88-second 'Star Wars'...
- In Ferguson, mundane choices led to tragedy
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- New York boys buried in snow pile for 7 hours...
- BLACK FRIDAY LIVE: Protests, beer and prison
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Official Christmas tree arrives at White House
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 71
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Evangelicals with gay children... 28
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12
- Attorney General Eric Holder:... 11