SALT LAKE CITY — Authorities say a woman who fled a polygamous community run by jailed sect leader Warren Jeffs is now safe with family.
Washington County Attorney Brock Belnap says the 25-year-old woman left protective custody over the weekend. He declined to say whether she returned to the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' twin towns of Colorado City, Arizona, and Hildale, Utah.
The woman fled her home in Colorado City earlier this month, and sought police protection. It remains unclear what led to the incident but Belnap says no charges will be filed.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12