PROVO — BYU fans will have their first glimpse at the 2011-12 men's basketball team tonight at the Marriott Center.
The annual Cougar Tipoff begins at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m.
BYU lost star guards Jimmer Fredette, the consensus national player of the year and first-round NBA draft pick, and Jackson Emery, the school's all-time leader in steals. But it welcomes back three starters — Brandon Davies, Charles Abouo and Noah Hartsock. Other returnees include Brock Zylstra, Stephen Rogers and Chris Collinsworth, who missed most of last season with a knee injury.
Among the newcomers that are expected to make their debuts this season include guards DeMarcus Harrison, Matt Carlino and Anson Winder; and forwards Josh Sharp, Ian Harward, Nate Austin and Michael Boswell.
The Cougars earned a school-record 32 victories last season and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1981.
Tonight's tipoff event, which features a full-length scrimmage and a meet-the-team autograph signing with free posters, will be broadcast live online at BYUtv.org with Jarom Jordan and former BYU coach Steve Cleveland calling the action.
The Cougars will host a pair of exhibition games, on Saturday against Midwestern State, and on Nov. 4 against Dixie State. BYU opens the season on Nov. 11 at Utah State.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24