PROVO — BYU fans will have their first glimpse at the 2011-12 men's basketball team tonight at the Marriott Center.
The annual Cougar Tipoff begins at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m.
BYU lost star guards Jimmer Fredette, the consensus national player of the year and first-round NBA draft pick, and Jackson Emery, the school's all-time leader in steals. But it welcomes back three starters — Brandon Davies, Charles Abouo and Noah Hartsock. Other returnees include Brock Zylstra, Stephen Rogers and Chris Collinsworth, who missed most of last season with a knee injury.
Among the newcomers that are expected to make their debuts this season include guards DeMarcus Harrison, Matt Carlino and Anson Winder; and forwards Josh Sharp, Ian Harward, Nate Austin and Michael Boswell.
The Cougars earned a school-record 32 victories last season and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1981.
Tonight's tipoff event, which features a full-length scrimmage and a meet-the-team autograph signing with free posters, will be broadcast live online at BYUtv.org with Jarom Jordan and former BYU coach Steve Cleveland calling the action.
The Cougars will host a pair of exhibition games, on Saturday against Midwestern State, and on Nov. 4 against Dixie State. BYU opens the season on Nov. 11 at Utah State.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 83
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 24