PROVO — BYU fans will have their first glimpse at the 2011-12 men's basketball team tonight at the Marriott Center.
The annual Cougar Tipoff begins at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m.
BYU lost star guards Jimmer Fredette, the consensus national player of the year and first-round NBA draft pick, and Jackson Emery, the school's all-time leader in steals. But it welcomes back three starters — Brandon Davies, Charles Abouo and Noah Hartsock. Other returnees include Brock Zylstra, Stephen Rogers and Chris Collinsworth, who missed most of last season with a knee injury.
Among the newcomers that are expected to make their debuts this season include guards DeMarcus Harrison, Matt Carlino and Anson Winder; and forwards Josh Sharp, Ian Harward, Nate Austin and Michael Boswell.
The Cougars earned a school-record 32 victories last season and advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1981.
Tonight's tipoff event, which features a full-length scrimmage and a meet-the-team autograph signing with free posters, will be broadcast live online at BYUtv.org with Jarom Jordan and former BYU coach Steve Cleveland calling the action.
The Cougars will host a pair of exhibition games, on Saturday against Midwestern State, and on Nov. 4 against Dixie State. BYU opens the season on Nov. 11 at Utah State.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33