And that's just a handful of the possibilities. For a more complete listing please go to servicemission.ldschurch.org. You can contact the church-service missionary office at church headquarters at 801-240-4914 or email@example.com (the website is currently undergoing routine maintenance; it will be online again Tuesday, Oct. 25).
"I have to smile when I hear people say, 'what could I possibly be qualified to do?'" said Sister Claudine Cable, herself a church-service missionary serving as the program's Communications and Training Coordinator. "The fact is, whatever your background, whatever your experience, whatever your time availability, whatever your interest, we probably have an assignment that will work for you."
Moriyama referred to an LDS scripture, found in the 82nd Section of the Doctrine and Covenants: "And all this for the benefit of the church of the living God, that every man may improve upon his talent, that every man may gain other talents, yea, even an hundred fold, to be cast into the Lord's storehouse, to become the common property of the whole church."
"That's the heart of church-service missionary work," he said. "People using their talents to bless the lives of others and for the benefit of the church."
At home, and on the windy plains.
Requirements to serve a church service mission:
Be temple worthy
Be able to serve an average of eight hours per week for at least six months
Be physically, mentally and emotionally able to perform the specified duties
Be capable of supporting yourself financially
Be at least 19 for men and 21 for women (no maximum age limit)
Mission assignment is endorsed by both the bishop and stake president
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 136
- Religious groups react to Boy... 77
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 26
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 20
- ... 12