And that's just a handful of the possibilities. For a more complete listing please go to servicemission.ldschurch.org. You can contact the church-service missionary office at church headquarters at 801-240-4914 or firstname.lastname@example.org (the website is currently undergoing routine maintenance; it will be online again Tuesday, Oct. 25).
"I have to smile when I hear people say, 'what could I possibly be qualified to do?'" said Sister Claudine Cable, herself a church-service missionary serving as the program's Communications and Training Coordinator. "The fact is, whatever your background, whatever your experience, whatever your time availability, whatever your interest, we probably have an assignment that will work for you."
Moriyama referred to an LDS scripture, found in the 82nd Section of the Doctrine and Covenants: "And all this for the benefit of the church of the living God, that every man may improve upon his talent, that every man may gain other talents, yea, even an hundred fold, to be cast into the Lord's storehouse, to become the common property of the whole church."
"That's the heart of church-service missionary work," he said. "People using their talents to bless the lives of others and for the benefit of the church."
At home, and on the windy plains.
Requirements to serve a church service mission:
Be temple worthy
Be able to serve an average of eight hours per week for at least six months
Be physically, mentally and emotionally able to perform the specified duties
Be capable of supporting yourself financially
Be at least 19 for men and 21 for women (no maximum age limit)
Mission assignment is endorsed by both the bishop and stake president
- 24 inspiring quotes from President Boyd K....
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- Healing underway in Greek Orthodox community
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 66
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 54
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Defending the Faith: Treasures in... 23
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders... 23
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 17
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- Not everyone has given up on God 8