Earlier in the week, team president Mike Holmgren, who took over in Cleveland after 10 seasons in Seattle, had to defend Shurmur's early performance and pleaded patience from Browns fans. Shurmur's West Coast offense remains a work in progress, but quarterback Colt McCoy managed the game, made a few plays and protected Cleveland's slim lead in the final minutes.
"I don't feel we are regressing," Shurmur said of the offensive woes. "They (Seahawks) have a pretty good defense. We just need to get more points."
The Browns defense did their part. Dawson did the rest.
"Phil's a stud," Shurmur said.
Seattle's chances took a big hit before kickoff, when Lynch, the team's leading rusher and top offensive weapon, had back spasms. Lynch remained on the sideline and at one point appeared ready to enter the game.
"He's had an ongoing thing with his back since he arrived with us," Carroll said. "It came up right before game time and he couldn't get loose. We tried to work with him the whole game and keep him going. He was about ready to take a shot at going after it, but he had sat too long."
The Browns played without running back Peyton Hillis (hamstring) and lost wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi and tight end Benjamin Watson to concussions. Also, starting right guard Shawn Lauvao injured his right knee and Shurmur said the second-year player will undergo an MRI on Monday.
Running back Montario Hardesty started for Hillis and had 33 carries for 95 yards. He also caught two passes and didn't drop a pass — a problem for him the past two weeks.
Notes: Seahawks starting CB Walter Thurmond broke his leg and is done for the season. Carroll said strong safety Kam Chancellor injured his knee. ... Browns RB Chris Ogbonnaya, signed earlier in the week of Houston's practice squad, had a team-high five receptions. ... Browns CB Joe Haden played despite being listed as questionable all week with a sprained knee.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Utah Jazz get blown out by Dallas 120-102
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32