STANFORD, Calif. — Washington is heading home with dreams of a Pac-12 North title shattered and on the wrong side of a record that had lasted 30 years.
Stepfan Taylor, Tyler Gaffney and Anthony Wilkerson powered seventh-ranked Stanford to a school-record 446 yards rushing to blow past the No. 22 Huskies 65-21 on Saturday night in impressive fashion.
Just not for the road team.
"I hate it," Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian said. "The only way to rectify it is go get the next win. That's what makes you feel good. We can't sulk or feel sorry for ourselves."
Stanford's running backs gave Heisman Trophy hopeful Andrew Luck some rest as the Cardinal (7-0, 5-0 Pac-12) extended the nation's longest winning streak to 15 games. Taylor ran for 138 yards, Gaffney 117 yards and Wilkerson 93 yards to break the previous team mark of 439 in a victory over Oregon State in 1981.
Facing the first ranked opponent of the season, Stanford pounded the Huskies (5-2, 3-1) in a critical division matchup.
Luck threw for 169 yards and two touchdowns and completed 16 of 21 passes but was overshadowed — for once — by a running game that has quietly been among the nation's best the last few years. No matter what happens next week at Southern California, the victory almost guarantees that Nov. 12 matchup against Oregon at Stanford Stadium will decide the North's representative in the inaugural Pac-12 championship game.
OREGON 45, COLORADO 2: At Boulder, Colo., playing without Darron Thomas and LaMichael James, No. 9 Oregon bulldozed injury-riddled Colorado.
The Ducks lost none of their quick-strike scoring ability without their injured quarterback and running back. Thomas was out with a knee injury and James missed his second straight game while recovering from a dislocated elbow.
With Bryan Bennett under center and Kenjon Barner at tailback, the Ducks (6-1, 4-0 Pac-10) used four drives that averaged just 1:36 each to build a 29-0 lead after one quarter.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15