SAN FRANCISCO — California quarterback Zach Maynard joined the list of Pac-12 quarterbacks to have a successful outing against the Utah Utes. The junior led an attack that racked up 384 yards of total offense in the Bears' 34-10 victory over the Utes Saturday at AT&T Park.
Cal coach Jeff Tedford credited Maynard for working all phases of the game well.
"I was very proud of the way he came out, performed and managed the game," Tedford said. "Managing the game was a big emphasis going into today's game."
The Bears never trailed while getting 21 first downs. They converted on 8-of-16 third-down opportunities.
"He came in today and didn't turn over the ball at all," Tedford said. "I thought he was very smart with the ball and his decisions."
Maynard directed touchdown drives that resulted in a 5-yard run by former Cottonwood High star Isi Sofele, a 12-yard scoring strike to Keenan Allen and a 4-yard keeper of his own.
The performance was the fourth solid showing by a Pac-12 signal caller against the Utes this season. Maynard joins USC's Matt Barkley, Washington's Keith Price and Arizona State's Brock Osweiler in contributing to Utah's 0-4 start in conference play.
"The quarterbacks in this league are all great. Each and every quarterback that we've played has been a good one," said Utah linebacker Chaz Walker. "We've got to work on corralling them and holding them for less yards, for sure."
The Utes finish the regular season with five more Pac-12 games — Oregon State, Arizona, UCLA, Washington State and Colorado. They'll do so while trying to solve problems of their own at quarterback.
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Jon Hays, who turned the ball over four times against Cal, is still the guy.
"We'll keep trying and keep working because he gives us the best chance to win right now," Whittingham said. "We just need to find ways and situations for him to be successful because that is our job as coaches. We need to get not just him, but our entire offense into position to have success and we need to figure that out."
Utah has been outscored 123-52 in Pac-12 play, thus far, and joins fellow newcomer Colorado (1-7, 0-4) as the only teams in the league without a conference victory this season.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34