Jerry Sloan, Phil Johnson highlight Utah Sports Hall of Fame honorees
Tom Smart, Deseret News
After spending 23 seasons together with the Jazz, coaches Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson will be inducted together into the Utah Sports Hall of Fame Foundation.
They will join Natalie Williams, Annette Ausseresses and Doug Toole in the Class of 2011, honored Nov. 16 at EnergySolutions Arena with a 6 p.m. reception and 7 p.m. dinner.
Sloan ranks third in NBA history with 1,221 victories, including 1,127 wins with the Jazz. He coached the team to two NBA Finals appearances and four other times reached the Western Conference finals. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.
Johnson, a former Utah State basketball player, coached Weber State to a 68-16 record and was a three-time Big Sky Conference coach of the year before moving into the NBA. He earned the league's coach of the year award in 1975 with the Kansas City Kings. Five times during his Jazz tenure, he was voted the league's top assistant coach by NBA general managers.
Williams, a Taylorsville High School graduate, was an All-America basketball and volleyball player for UCLA in the early 1990s and was named the Pac-10 athlete of the decade. She became a four-time WNBA All-Star and a member of the U.S. Olympic basketball team that won the gold medal in 2000.
Ausseresses, a Brighton High School graduate, was an All-America softball player for the University of Utah in the 1980s, setting an NCAA Tournament record with four hits in one game and leading the Utes to the College Softball World Series. She competed on the Pan American Games gold medal team and the U.S. Olympic Festival before softball became an Olympic sport.
Toole, a who attended North Summit High School and Utah State, worked in the NFL for 19 seasons as a side judge. He officiated in two Super Bowls, five conference championship games and 11 other playoff games.
He was inducted into the National High School Sports Hall of Fame in 1995.
For reservations, send checks ($50) to the USHFF, c/o Scott Mayne, 10182 S. Cornerstone, South Jordan 84095
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 48
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24