Jerry Sloan, Phil Johnson highlight Utah Sports Hall of Fame honorees
Tom Smart, Deseret News
After spending 23 seasons together with the Jazz, coaches Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson will be inducted together into the Utah Sports Hall of Fame Foundation.
They will join Natalie Williams, Annette Ausseresses and Doug Toole in the Class of 2011, honored Nov. 16 at EnergySolutions Arena with a 6 p.m. reception and 7 p.m. dinner.
Sloan ranks third in NBA history with 1,221 victories, including 1,127 wins with the Jazz. He coached the team to two NBA Finals appearances and four other times reached the Western Conference finals. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.
Johnson, a former Utah State basketball player, coached Weber State to a 68-16 record and was a three-time Big Sky Conference coach of the year before moving into the NBA. He earned the league's coach of the year award in 1975 with the Kansas City Kings. Five times during his Jazz tenure, he was voted the league's top assistant coach by NBA general managers.
Williams, a Taylorsville High School graduate, was an All-America basketball and volleyball player for UCLA in the early 1990s and was named the Pac-10 athlete of the decade. She became a four-time WNBA All-Star and a member of the U.S. Olympic basketball team that won the gold medal in 2000.
Ausseresses, a Brighton High School graduate, was an All-America softball player for the University of Utah in the 1980s, setting an NCAA Tournament record with four hits in one game and leading the Utes to the College Softball World Series. She competed on the Pan American Games gold medal team and the U.S. Olympic Festival before softball became an Olympic sport.
Toole, a who attended North Summit High School and Utah State, worked in the NFL for 19 seasons as a side judge. He officiated in two Super Bowls, five conference championship games and 11 other playoff games.
He was inducted into the National High School Sports Hall of Fame in 1995.
For reservations, send checks ($50) to the USHFF, c/o Scott Mayne, 10182 S. Cornerstone, South Jordan 84095
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn, 30-13,...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage in...
- Utah high school football roundup: Frantic...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football video: Two plays that shifted...
- BYU football notebook: Cougars make do with...
- Utah Jazz rookie Trey Lyles taking his first...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- Guest commentary: Utah's success and... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20
- BYU's pregame fireside gets Michigan... 19