Jerry Sloan, Phil Johnson highlight Utah Sports Hall of Fame honorees
Tom Smart, Deseret News
After spending 23 seasons together with the Jazz, coaches Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson will be inducted together into the Utah Sports Hall of Fame Foundation.
They will join Natalie Williams, Annette Ausseresses and Doug Toole in the Class of 2011, honored Nov. 16 at EnergySolutions Arena with a 6 p.m. reception and 7 p.m. dinner.
Sloan ranks third in NBA history with 1,221 victories, including 1,127 wins with the Jazz. He coached the team to two NBA Finals appearances and four other times reached the Western Conference finals. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.
Johnson, a former Utah State basketball player, coached Weber State to a 68-16 record and was a three-time Big Sky Conference coach of the year before moving into the NBA. He earned the league's coach of the year award in 1975 with the Kansas City Kings. Five times during his Jazz tenure, he was voted the league's top assistant coach by NBA general managers.
Williams, a Taylorsville High School graduate, was an All-America basketball and volleyball player for UCLA in the early 1990s and was named the Pac-10 athlete of the decade. She became a four-time WNBA All-Star and a member of the U.S. Olympic basketball team that won the gold medal in 2000.
Ausseresses, a Brighton High School graduate, was an All-America softball player for the University of Utah in the 1980s, setting an NCAA Tournament record with four hits in one game and leading the Utes to the College Softball World Series. She competed on the Pan American Games gold medal team and the U.S. Olympic Festival before softball became an Olympic sport.
Toole, a who attended North Summit High School and Utah State, worked in the NFL for 19 seasons as a side judge. He officiated in two Super Bowls, five conference championship games and 11 other playoff games.
He was inducted into the National High School Sports Hall of Fame in 1995.
For reservations, send checks ($50) to the USHFF, c/o Scott Mayne, 10182 S. Cornerstone, South Jordan 84095
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16