Ravell Call, Deseret News
Utah (3-3, 0-3) at Cal (3-3, 0-3)
Saturday, 5 p.m.
AT&T Park (45,000)
Surface, natural grass
Weather: Clear skies and temperatures in the high 60s
For Cal ... A reversal of fortune. The Bears have lost three straight by a combined score of 104-47, falling to Pac-12 powers Washington, Oregon and USC.
For Utah ... The Utes are looking to avoid their first 0-4 start in conference play since 2002. A victory would also be historic as the program's inaugural Pac-12 triumph.
For Cal ... The Bears are off to their worst conference start since 2001 when current BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe capped his coaching career with a winless Pac-10 campaign.
For Utah ... The Utes have won two straight games away from Rice-Eccles Stadium — overpowering BYU, 54-10 and topping Pittsburgh, 26-14. They've also won two in a row over Cal.
PLAYER TO WATCH
John White, Utah running back: Although the 'Wolfman' likely won't get 36 rushes as he did last week at Pitt, the Utes need to establish an effective ground game against Cal.keymatchup
Utah's run defense vs. Cal's Isi Sofele: The former Cottonwood High star averages 90.5 yards per game rushing. Utah's defense, meanwhile, is allowing just 94.5 to opposing offenses.
Cal: CB Marc Anthony (shoulder) and FB Eric Stevens (knee) are out. LB Mychal Kendricks (arm), LB Chris McCain (leg) and LB Dave Wilkerson (undisclosed) are questionable.
Utah: QB Jordan Wynn (shoulder), FS Keith McGill (shoulder), RS Charles Henderson (knee) and TE Dallin Rogers (knee) are out. WR DeVonte Christopher and RB Tauni Vakapuna are questionable with ankle injuries.
Utah hosts Oregon State (5 p.m., KJZZ) next Saturday, while California is at UCLA.
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 1 vs. Montana St. W, 27-10
Sept. 10 at USC L, 23-14
Sept. 17 at BYU W, 54-10
Oct. 1 vs. Washington L, 31-14
Oct. 8 vs. Arizona St. L, 35-14
Oct. 15 at Pittsburgh W, 26-14
Oct. 22 at California 5 p.m. (KJZZ)
Oct. 29 vs. Oregon St. 5 p.m. (KJZZ)
Nov. 5 at Arizona TBA
Nov. 12 vs. UCLA TBA
Nov. 19at Washington St.TBA
Nov. 25 vs. Colorado 1:30 p.m. (ROOT)
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 115
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 64
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 48
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33