John Bazemore, File, Associated Press
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Tony Gonzalez refuses to boast about himself as he moves closer to becoming the NFL's No. 2 career leader in receptions.
The 35-year-old Gonzalez has 10 Pro Bowl bids and already owns most of the meaningful league records by a tight end. He was the first to reach 1,000 catches and 12,000 yards receiving.
But as the Atlanta Falcons prepare to visit Detroit on Sunday, Gonzalez is ready to acknowledge another accomplishment within his reach: He needs four catches to move past Cris Carter and Marvin Harrison with 1,103 catches.
Gonzalez says his "clock inside" will tell him when he passes the mark, but adds that "it's one of those things in the heat of the battle you can't worry about," so he plans to relish it afterward.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35