Seth Wenig, Associated Press
NEW YORK — One New York Police Department officer keeping an eye on the Occupy Wall Street protesters finds the protesters are keeping their eyes on him because of the hip way he dresses.
Manhattan plainclothes Detective Rick Lee is gaining Internet fame for his un-stereotypical appearance. He dresses like a cool college professor.
Online blog posts make tongue-in-cheek references to him as the Hipster Cop.
His look includes cardigans, skinny ties, professorial-style glasses and side-swept hair.
Other plainclothes officers dress more casually and are fond of jeans.
Lee has been doing community affairs work at the protest.
He says most people don't realize he's a police officer. He says the non-traditional look helps break down "a lot of walls."
- Washington school gunman was Homecoming...
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- New York, New Jersey order Ebola quarantine...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Suspect from Salt Lake City arrested in death...
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack was...
- Boko Haram agrees to release abducted girls
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- California orders churches, others to... 28
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 24
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Washington school gunman was Homecoming... 9
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8