Seth Wenig, Associated Press
NEW YORK — One New York Police Department officer keeping an eye on the Occupy Wall Street protesters finds the protesters are keeping their eyes on him because of the hip way he dresses.
Manhattan plainclothes Detective Rick Lee is gaining Internet fame for his un-stereotypical appearance. He dresses like a cool college professor.
Online blog posts make tongue-in-cheek references to him as the Hipster Cop.
His look includes cardigans, skinny ties, professorial-style glasses and side-swept hair.
Other plainclothes officers dress more casually and are fond of jeans.
Lee has been doing community affairs work at the protest.
He says most people don't realize he's a police officer. He says the non-traditional look helps break down "a lot of walls."
- ‘Stay strong,’ says 15-year-old...
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Tiny houses big with consumers seeking...
- Heads up! Supermoon is here
- Gallup poll: Mormons like Obama least of all...
- Grandma says Texas massacre survivor saved lives
- Hot spot: Yellowstone road melts, sites closed
- His agenda in gridlock, Obama relishes roadshow
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 66
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Boehner, McConnell blast Obama border... 41
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 33
- Gallup poll: Mormons like Obama least... 31
- Thousands of unaccompanied migrant... 26
- President Obama aims to shift border... 23
- Obama seeks $3.7 billion to deal with... 20