Seth Wenig, Associated Press
NEW YORK — One New York Police Department officer keeping an eye on the Occupy Wall Street protesters finds the protesters are keeping their eyes on him because of the hip way he dresses.
Manhattan plainclothes Detective Rick Lee is gaining Internet fame for his un-stereotypical appearance. He dresses like a cool college professor.
Online blog posts make tongue-in-cheek references to him as the Hipster Cop.
His look includes cardigans, skinny ties, professorial-style glasses and side-swept hair.
Other plainclothes officers dress more casually and are fond of jeans.
Lee has been doing community affairs work at the protest.
He says most people don't realize he's a police officer. He says the non-traditional look helps break down "a lot of walls."
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Social Entreprenuers: Startups set to change...
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 52
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 36
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- House leaders abandon border bill 18
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13