Seth Wenig, Associated Press
NEW YORK — One New York Police Department officer keeping an eye on the Occupy Wall Street protesters finds the protesters are keeping their eyes on him because of the hip way he dresses.
Manhattan plainclothes Detective Rick Lee is gaining Internet fame for his un-stereotypical appearance. He dresses like a cool college professor.
Online blog posts make tongue-in-cheek references to him as the Hipster Cop.
His look includes cardigans, skinny ties, professorial-style glasses and side-swept hair.
Other plainclothes officers dress more casually and are fond of jeans.
Lee has been doing community affairs work at the protest.
He says most people don't realize he's a police officer. He says the non-traditional look helps break down "a lot of walls."
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- A look at why the Benghazi issue keeps coming...
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal, Obama's...
- Girl gets surprise reunion with dad at Rays...
- Navy dolphins discover rare 19th-century torpedo
- IRS probe ignored most influential groups on...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 60
- 'Unprecedented': Obama administration... 27
- Attorney General Eric Holder says he... 21
- Journalists push back against Obama... 21
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- IRS lacked 'sensitivity' in screenings... 17
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12