Seth Wenig, Associated Press
NEW YORK — One New York Police Department officer keeping an eye on the Occupy Wall Street protesters finds the protesters are keeping their eyes on him because of the hip way he dresses.
Manhattan plainclothes Detective Rick Lee is gaining Internet fame for his un-stereotypical appearance. He dresses like a cool college professor.
Online blog posts make tongue-in-cheek references to him as the Hipster Cop.
His look includes cardigans, skinny ties, professorial-style glasses and side-swept hair.
Other plainclothes officers dress more casually and are fond of jeans.
Lee has been doing community affairs work at the protest.
He says most people don't realize he's a police officer. He says the non-traditional look helps break down "a lot of walls."
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic...
- Colleges add luxury touches to new football...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- Car crash in Argentina kills 3 relatives of pope
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Police, protesters collide again in... 20
- Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for... 19
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 18
- Police identify Missouri officer who... 16
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14