AMERICAN FORK — Field goal kicking wasn't one of Riverton's strengths on Wednesday night — except when it mattered the most.
Opting to go for it on fourth down for most of the night — including a fourth-and-3 inside the 10-yard line — the Silverwolves kicked a 31-yarder with seven minutes left to beat American Fork, 22-21.
For the game-winner, Riverton (5-5, 3-2 in Region 4) went with sophomore kicker Brady Slack, who nailed the kick to clinch the Region 4 No. 3 seed for his team in the last game of the regular season.
"He's a good kid," Riverton head coach Mike Miller said of Slack. "I'm excited to see what he might be able to do."
Offense was at a premium in the first half, as the teams traded touchdowns before halftime. The Silverwolves got on the board first as Joey Jenson busted up the middle for a five-yard scoring run.
American Fork (5-5, 2-3 in Region 4) countered in the second quarter with a seven-yard quarterback keeper touchdown run from B.J. Eldredge.
Dallin Lindsey kept things going for the Cavemen with a 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to put the home team up 14-7.
In between a pair of 57-yard touchdown passes by Preston Young — to Stratton Brown and Taylor Stirland, respectively — Lindsey added a 53-yard TD reception from Tyler Brimhall to temporarily give American Fork the lead.
Slack's field goal was set up by a successful fake punt, as Jenson easily ran for a first down and a lot more all the way down to the Caveman 20-yard line.
"It was the right situation for it," Miller said, discussing the fake punt. "We've practiced that a lot, and it presented itself and we decided to go for it."
Young finished the game 4-of-8 with 131 yards and the two touchdowns. Riverton defensive players Uloiseni Kinikini and Dallin Munger each came up with a fumble recovery.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0