In regards to Gary Russon's recent letter ("Socialism and protests," Readers' Forum, Oct. 17). Socialism is a political and economic theory of social organization that advocates that the means of production, distribution and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole. Plutocracy is government by the wealthy.
Democracy is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. Free Market is an economic system in which prices are determined by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses. These definitions are from Google.
Russon claimed that the Occupy Wall Street protesters are "denouncing capitalism and praising socialism." This is not the case. They are not calling for ownership of the means of production to be owned by the government. They are protesting for an end of the plutocracy that has taken hold. They want a return to the democracy and free market that once existed in this country.
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges Hatch...
- Charles Krauthammer: Donald, Hillary and the...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 81
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 35
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19