In regards to Gary Russon's recent letter ("Socialism and protests," Readers' Forum, Oct. 17). Socialism is a political and economic theory of social organization that advocates that the means of production, distribution and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole. Plutocracy is government by the wealthy.
Democracy is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. Free Market is an economic system in which prices are determined by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses. These definitions are from Google.
Russon claimed that the Occupy Wall Street protesters are "denouncing capitalism and praising socialism." This is not the case. They are not calling for ownership of the means of production to be owned by the government. They are protesting for an end of the plutocracy that has taken hold. They want a return to the democracy and free market that once existed in this country.
- In our opinion: Parents reading to young...
- Drew Clark: What President Obama does well:...
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Letter: Pay for your share
- Letter: Repeating past mistakes
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will save lives
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the Union...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 71
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- George F. Will: America’s welfare... 22
- Letter: Idle elimination 19