In regards to Gary Russon's recent letter ("Socialism and protests," Readers' Forum, Oct. 17). Socialism is a political and economic theory of social organization that advocates that the means of production, distribution and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole. Plutocracy is government by the wealthy.
Democracy is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. Free Market is an economic system in which prices are determined by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses. These definitions are from Google.
Russon claimed that the Occupy Wall Street protesters are "denouncing capitalism and praising socialism." This is not the case. They are not calling for ownership of the means of production to be owned by the government. They are protesting for an end of the plutocracy that has taken hold. They want a return to the democracy and free market that once existed in this country.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Letter: Society puzzles
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 41
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 32
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 31