In regards to Gary Russon's recent letter ("Socialism and protests," Readers' Forum, Oct. 17). Socialism is a political and economic theory of social organization that advocates that the means of production, distribution and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole. Plutocracy is government by the wealthy.
Democracy is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. Free Market is an economic system in which prices are determined by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses. These definitions are from Google.
Russon claimed that the Occupy Wall Street protesters are "denouncing capitalism and praising socialism." This is not the case. They are not calling for ownership of the means of production to be owned by the government. They are protesting for an end of the plutocracy that has taken hold. They want a return to the democracy and free market that once existed in this country.
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- In our opinion: Critics of porn resolution...
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Dan Liljenquist: Increasing police officer pay
- In our opinion: National security and... 77
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 35
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 23
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19