In regards to Gary Russon's recent letter ("Socialism and protests," Readers' Forum, Oct. 17). Socialism is a political and economic theory of social organization that advocates that the means of production, distribution and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole. Plutocracy is government by the wealthy.
Democracy is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. Free Market is an economic system in which prices are determined by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses. These definitions are from Google.
Russon claimed that the Occupy Wall Street protesters are "denouncing capitalism and praising socialism." This is not the case. They are not calling for ownership of the means of production to be owned by the government. They are protesting for an end of the plutocracy that has taken hold. They want a return to the democracy and free market that once existed in this country.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- About Utah: Jen Seelig came to Utah and made...
- In our opinion: Six heroes for our values in...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our year-end...
- John Florez: The people's voices don't count
- Letter: Distance from religion
- Robert Bennett: Finally, good possibilities...
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 39
- Letter: Distance from religion 34
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 32
- Letter: Sharing culpability 22
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions 21
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Mark Reynolds: Cheap gas prices... 14