BATON ROUGE, La. — A person familiar with the decision says No. 1 LSU has suspended star cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, along with defensive back Tharold Simon and running back Spencer Ware for this Saturday's home game against Auburn.
The person told The Associated Press about the suspensions on condition of anonymity on Wednesday because they have not been announced. LSU spokesman Michael Bonnette declined to confirm any punishment for the three players, saying only that they're involved in an internal matter that coach Les Miles "will handle accordingly."
Mathieu has been one of the stars of the first half of the college football season. He has forced four fumbles, recovering three and returning two for scores. He also has two interceptions and 42 tackles including 1½ sacks.
Mathieu has made so many big plays in nationally televised games, a grass-roots Heisman Trophy campaign sprouted for the hard-hitting 5-foot-9 defensive back nicknamed 'Honey Badger.'
Ware is the leading rusher for the unbeaten Tigers with 512 yards and six touchdowns.
Simon has one interception and 29 tackles.
The Tigers have a week off after Saturday, and play No. 2 Alabama on Nov. 5 in what could be the biggest game of the regular season.
LSU has already managed to stay unbeaten while dealing with the early season suspension.
Quarterback Jordan Jefferson missed the first four games of the season, including matchups against Oregon and West Virginia, after he was involved in a bar fight.
Jefferson, who was slated to start, was reinstated on Sept. 28 after a grand jury reduced his felony second-degree battery charge to a misdemeanor. He and Jarrett Lee have been sharing the quarterback job since he has returned.
Receiver Russell Shepard missed the first three games because of an NCAA rules violation.
LSU is a three-touchdown favorite at home against No. 19 Auburn, but the Alabama game is in Tuscaloosa.
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part as a...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- Due to injuries, both BYU and Cincinnati have...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- Morning links: L.A. Times writer, former...
- BYU legend Steve Young talks Tanner Mangum,...
- BYU football notebook: Return of Travis...
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part... 60
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 40
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 40
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 33
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 32
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 27
- Tanner Mangum returns from injury,... 25