BATON ROUGE, La. — A person familiar with the decision says No. 1 LSU has suspended star cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, along with defensive back Tharold Simon and running back Spencer Ware for this Saturday's home game against Auburn.
The person told The Associated Press about the suspensions on condition of anonymity on Wednesday because they have not been announced. LSU spokesman Michael Bonnette declined to confirm any punishment for the three players, saying only that they're involved in an internal matter that coach Les Miles "will handle accordingly."
Mathieu has been one of the stars of the first half of the college football season. He has forced four fumbles, recovering three and returning two for scores. He also has two interceptions and 42 tackles including 1½ sacks.
Mathieu has made so many big plays in nationally televised games, a grass-roots Heisman Trophy campaign sprouted for the hard-hitting 5-foot-9 defensive back nicknamed 'Honey Badger.'
Ware is the leading rusher for the unbeaten Tigers with 512 yards and six touchdowns.
Simon has one interception and 29 tackles.
The Tigers have a week off after Saturday, and play No. 2 Alabama on Nov. 5 in what could be the biggest game of the regular season.
LSU has already managed to stay unbeaten while dealing with the early season suspension.
Quarterback Jordan Jefferson missed the first four games of the season, including matchups against Oregon and West Virginia, after he was involved in a bar fight.
Jefferson, who was slated to start, was reinstated on Sept. 28 after a grand jury reduced his felony second-degree battery charge to a misdemeanor. He and Jarrett Lee have been sharing the quarterback job since he has returned.
Receiver Russell Shepard missed the first three games because of an NCAA rules violation.
LSU is a three-touchdown favorite at home against No. 19 Auburn, but the Alabama game is in Tuscaloosa.
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- BYU's Mendenhall, Nebraska's Riley have long...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- BYU football notebook: Experience should be...
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in season...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 74
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 58
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 32
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 25