"This is how he supports us," she said. "I try not to ask a lot of him during the season, but I still expect him to help at home with the kids, to be a father, a husband and the head of our household."
The first time the couple went to dinner after Eric signed his new contract with the Chargers, at least seven people approached him for autographs.
"I am supportive of it. He owes it to the fans. They make him who he is," Chanel said. "People have rarely been rude. It's only hard when we have the kids and they want him to sign a lot of things."
Taking time for fans almost caused major heartache last June when the Weddles were at the circus and a fan asked Eric to stand in a picture. "Our 2-year-old son Gaige wandered off. Eric asked if I had him and I thought he was joking," she said. "We found him 15 minutes later, but it was scary."
Chanel currently serves in her ward's Young Women presidency and takes their three young children to church while Eric, sometimes in street clothes, attends an early sacrament service near whatever stadium he is playing in that day. He currently serves in the Sunday School presidency.
Ward members are sensitive when discussing Sabbath Day observance around the Weddles.
"The ward is supportive, but it's a struggle," Chanel said. "It's a choice we made. We try really hard to do our best."
Chanel draws support from ward members and a monthly trip to the San Diego LDS Temple. Like their friends, the Becks, the Weddles hope to enjoy the NFL opportunity as long as they can.
"The battle continues to be putting the family first and supporting the job," Chanel said.
Twitter: tbtoone, aaronshill
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Reader voices: Memories of the Golden Toaster...
- A sister missionary shares lessons in...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- 'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in...
- 10 accomplishments of the Relief Society
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 118
- British judge hears arguments in case... 66
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to... 24
- Calif. city torn by multiple fights... 19
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of... 13
- Eliza R. Snow is more than a poetess as... 10
- Which bible do Americans read most? 10