Women married to NFL Mormons do best to keep things normal at home
The first time the couple went to dinner after Eric signed his new contract with the Chargers, at least seven people approached him for autographs.
"I am supportive of it. He owes it to the fans. They make him who he is," Chanel said. "People have rarely been rude. It's only hard when we have the kids and they want him to sign a lot of things."
Taking time for fans almost caused major heartache last June when the Weddles were at the circus and a fan asked Eric to stand in a picture. "Our 2-year-old son Gaige wandered off. Eric asked if I had him and I thought he was joking," she said. "We found him 15 minutes later, but it was scary."
Chanel currently serves in her ward's Young Women presidency and takes their three young children to church while Eric, sometimes in street clothes, attends an early sacrament service near whatever stadium he is playing in that day. He currently serves in the Sunday School presidency.
Ward members are sensitive when discussing Sabbath Day observance around the Weddles.
"The ward is supportive, but it's a struggle," Chanel said. "It's a choice we made. We try really hard to do our best."
Chanel draws support from ward members and a monthly trip to the San Diego LDS Temple. Like their friends, the Becks, the Weddles hope to enjoy the NFL opportunity as long as they can.
"The battle continues to be putting the family first and supporting the job," Chanel said.
Twitter: tbtoone, aaronshill
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had far-reaching...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 10
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 6
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 5
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 4
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 4