VERNAL — A Uintah County man has been jailed after sheriff's deputies say he pointed a loaded gun at a detective who had gone to his house to talk to him about a child sex abuse investigation.
Detectives from the Uintah County Sheriff's Department and Vernal Police Department went to the man's home Monday night to interview him about allegations that he'd sexually abused a child. They were allowed inside the home and spoke with the man. However, when they asked him to step outside, he refused.
Instead, the man went into a bedroom and grabbed a pistol, according to Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher. The man pointed the gun at one of the detectives, but did not fire any shots, Fletcher said.
A brief standoff ensued inside the home before the man dropped the gun and surrendered.
Robert K. Riker, 50, was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of attempted aggravated murder and child sex abuse. His bail is set at $255,000.
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11