VERNAL — A Uintah County man has been jailed after sheriff's deputies say he pointed a loaded gun at a detective who had gone to his house to talk to him about a child sex abuse investigation.
Detectives from the Uintah County Sheriff's Department and Vernal Police Department went to the man's home Monday night to interview him about allegations that he'd sexually abused a child. They were allowed inside the home and spoke with the man. However, when they asked him to step outside, he refused.
Instead, the man went into a bedroom and grabbed a pistol, according to Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher. The man pointed the gun at one of the detectives, but did not fire any shots, Fletcher said.
A brief standoff ensued inside the home before the man dropped the gun and surrendered.
Robert K. Riker, 50, was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of attempted aggravated murder and child sex abuse. His bail is set at $255,000.
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Minor earthquake shakes southern Utah town
- Man saves 8-year-old sister-in-law from...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12