VERNAL — A Uintah County man has been jailed after sheriff's deputies say he pointed a loaded gun at a detective who had gone to his house to talk to him about a child sex abuse investigation.
Detectives from the Uintah County Sheriff's Department and Vernal Police Department went to the man's home Monday night to interview him about allegations that he'd sexually abused a child. They were allowed inside the home and spoke with the man. However, when they asked him to step outside, he refused.
Instead, the man went into a bedroom and grabbed a pistol, according to Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher. The man pointed the gun at one of the detectives, but did not fire any shots, Fletcher said.
A brief standoff ensued inside the home before the man dropped the gun and surrendered.
Robert K. Riker, 50, was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of attempted aggravated murder and child sex abuse. His bail is set at $255,000.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17