VERNAL — A Uintah County man has been jailed after sheriff's deputies say he pointed a loaded gun at a detective who had gone to his house to talk to him about a child sex abuse investigation.
Detectives from the Uintah County Sheriff's Department and Vernal Police Department went to the man's home Monday night to interview him about allegations that he'd sexually abused a child. They were allowed inside the home and spoke with the man. However, when they asked him to step outside, he refused.
Instead, the man went into a bedroom and grabbed a pistol, according to Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher. The man pointed the gun at one of the detectives, but did not fire any shots, Fletcher said.
A brief standoff ensued inside the home before the man dropped the gun and surrendered.
Robert K. Riker, 50, was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of attempted aggravated murder and child sex abuse. His bail is set at $255,000.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Utah bus drivers put safety to the test
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 28
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 26
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12