VERNAL — A Uintah County man has been jailed after sheriff's deputies say he pointed a loaded gun at a detective who had gone to his house to talk to him about a child sex abuse investigation.
Detectives from the Uintah County Sheriff's Department and Vernal Police Department went to the man's home Monday night to interview him about allegations that he'd sexually abused a child. They were allowed inside the home and spoke with the man. However, when they asked him to step outside, he refused.
Instead, the man went into a bedroom and grabbed a pistol, according to Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher. The man pointed the gun at one of the detectives, but did not fire any shots, Fletcher said.
A brief standoff ensued inside the home before the man dropped the gun and surrendered.
Robert K. Riker, 50, was booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of attempted aggravated murder and child sex abuse. His bail is set at $255,000.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 15