BYU football: Cougars seem to be hitting their stride
In the past two games as the starter, Nelson has led BYU to wins over San Jose State and Oregon State.
Where did Mendenhall think his team would be seven games into the season?
"I wasn't certain where we would be at this point," he said. "I knew we had some good teams to play, tough road games early on with Ole Miss and Texas. I believed that Central Florida would be a good team, which they were. I knew Utah State would be good on offense, which they were. I knew Oregon State would be a tough road trip, which it was. And we're 5-2, with a chance, gaining momentum, to compete to win every game remaining on our schedule. So it's exciting … Whether I was expecting to be undefeated or not? Hopeful. But I think we're making progress and gaining momentum."
Under coach Bronco Mendenhall, BYU has enjoyed strong performances during the final months of the season. Here's a look at each of Mendenhall's seven years at the helm:
YEAR START FINISH FINAL RECORD
2005 1-3 5-3 6-6
2006 1-2 10-0 11-2
2007 1-2 10-0 11-2
2008 6-0 4-3 10-3
2009 2-1 9-1 11-2
2010 1-4 5-2 6-6
2011 1-2 ??? ???
Cougars on the air
Idaho State (2-5) at BYU (5-2)
Saturday, 1 p.m. MT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
TV: BYUtv Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Felt's Facts, Week 1: Where does Duchesne's...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 108
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 99
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 76
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 73
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 41
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 37