BYU football: Cougars seem to be hitting their stride
In the past two games as the starter, Nelson has led BYU to wins over San Jose State and Oregon State.
Where did Mendenhall think his team would be seven games into the season?
"I wasn't certain where we would be at this point," he said. "I knew we had some good teams to play, tough road games early on with Ole Miss and Texas. I believed that Central Florida would be a good team, which they were. I knew Utah State would be good on offense, which they were. I knew Oregon State would be a tough road trip, which it was. And we're 5-2, with a chance, gaining momentum, to compete to win every game remaining on our schedule. So it's exciting … Whether I was expecting to be undefeated or not? Hopeful. But I think we're making progress and gaining momentum."
Under coach Bronco Mendenhall, BYU has enjoyed strong performances during the final months of the season. Here's a look at each of Mendenhall's seven years at the helm:
YEAR START FINISH FINAL RECORD
2005 1-3 5-3 6-6
2006 1-2 10-0 11-2
2007 1-2 10-0 11-2
2008 6-0 4-3 10-3
2009 2-1 9-1 11-2
2010 1-4 5-2 6-6
2011 1-2 ??? ???
Cougars on the air
Idaho State (2-5) at BYU (5-2)
Saturday, 1 p.m. MT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
TV: BYUtv Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22