BYU football: Cougars seem to be hitting their stride
In the past two games as the starter, Nelson has led BYU to wins over San Jose State and Oregon State.
Where did Mendenhall think his team would be seven games into the season?
"I wasn't certain where we would be at this point," he said. "I knew we had some good teams to play, tough road games early on with Ole Miss and Texas. I believed that Central Florida would be a good team, which they were. I knew Utah State would be good on offense, which they were. I knew Oregon State would be a tough road trip, which it was. And we're 5-2, with a chance, gaining momentum, to compete to win every game remaining on our schedule. So it's exciting … Whether I was expecting to be undefeated or not? Hopeful. But I think we're making progress and gaining momentum."
Under coach Bronco Mendenhall, BYU has enjoyed strong performances during the final months of the season. Here's a look at each of Mendenhall's seven years at the helm:
YEAR START FINISH FINAL RECORD
2005 1-3 5-3 6-6
2006 1-2 10-0 11-2
2007 1-2 10-0 11-2
2008 6-0 4-3 10-3
2009 2-1 9-1 11-2
2010 1-4 5-2 6-6
2011 1-2 ??? ???
Cougars on the air
Idaho State (2-5) at BYU (5-2)
Saturday, 1 p.m. MT
LaVell Edwards Stadium
TV: BYUtv Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 49
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 36
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 29
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 19
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: Bronco Mendenhall and... 15
- Utah State forward Jalen Moore removes... 7
- Doug Robinson: Principals give era of... 6