Seth Perlman, Associated Press
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — When Illinois recruited Whitney Mercilus, the coaches told the young defensive end the sky was the limit.
Mercilus is starting to prove them right and fellow junior Michael Buchanan isn't far behind.
Mercilus leads the nation with 10 sacks and Buchanan has five, helping the Illini put up 26 sacks through seven games. That is tops in the Big Ten and the fifth-best pass rush in the country.
Defensive coordinator Vic Koenning says Buchanan could have four or five more sacks if he were more sound fundamentally.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7