Seth Perlman, Associated Press
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — When Illinois recruited Whitney Mercilus, the coaches told the young defensive end the sky was the limit.
Mercilus is starting to prove them right and fellow junior Michael Buchanan isn't far behind.
Mercilus leads the nation with 10 sacks and Buchanan has five, helping the Illini put up 26 sacks through seven games. That is tops in the Big Ten and the fifth-best pass rush in the country.
Defensive coordinator Vic Koenning says Buchanan could have four or five more sacks if he were more sound fundamentally.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18