Seth Perlman, Associated Press
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — When Illinois recruited Whitney Mercilus, the coaches told the young defensive end the sky was the limit.
Mercilus is starting to prove them right and fellow junior Michael Buchanan isn't far behind.
Mercilus leads the nation with 10 sacks and Buchanan has five, helping the Illini put up 26 sacks through seven games. That is tops in the Big Ten and the fifth-best pass rush in the country.
Defensive coordinator Vic Koenning says Buchanan could have four or five more sacks if he were more sound fundamentally.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35