When you bake these cookies, they rise a little and look like mushrooms.
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon whole anise seeds
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more for flouring pastry sheets
Unsalted butter for pastry sheets
Instructions: Butter pastry sheets and dust with flour.
Put sugar and eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix for about 10 minutes on high speed, until a ribbon forms when a whisk is inserted and lifted from the mixture.
Add the anise seeds and beat for a few minutes more, until the seeds are blended.
By hand, with a spatula, gently fold in the flour. Put this dough in a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip. Pipe dough onto the pastry sheets, forming circles ¾-inch across.
Let them dry overnight, or at least four hours, at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Bake cookies for about 10 minutes.
— "One Sweet Cookie: Celebrated Chefs Share Favorite Recipes," by Tracey Zabar (Rizzoli, $30)
PETITS FOURS DE NOEL
Makes about 100
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 ounces candied orange peel (optional)
8 ounces ground almonds
Grated zest of 1 lemon
3 small eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1 egg beaten with a little cold water
Instructions: Cream butter and sugar. Add cinnamon, candied orange peel, almonds, lemon zest and three eggs and mix thoroughly. Add flour and knead until you have a smooth paste.
Enclose dough in plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator overnight, or up to two to three days.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a pastry sheet and dust it with flour.
On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Cut with cookies cutters. Combine scraps and roll and cut again.
Arrange cutouts on the pastry sheet. Brush them with beaten egg. Bake until they are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
— "One Sweet Cookie," Andre Soltner
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Makes 2 dozen
1¾ cups all-purpose flour and ¼ cup cocoa
1¾ teaspoons baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¼ cups dark brown sugar and ¼ cup sugar
11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Best and worst states to have a baby
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- 20 things I will not regret doing with my kids
- The Clean Cut: New 'Simba cam' takes over...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's novel,...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 ways to embrace your...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 15
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale... 9
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working... 5
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me 4
- Why a parent going to prison can be... 4
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's... 3