On the move
Ah, the vagaries of college football, where it's every team for itself.
When TCU jumped from the Mountain West to the Big East 11 months ago, athletic director Chris Del Conte noted that losing BYU and Utah was a "significant blow" to the Mountain West.
"It was not the same league that we joined," he said at the time. "It's not the same home that we bought, it's not same home we were invited to, and things changed, the landscape changed."
Now the Horned Frogs are leaving the Big East — having never played there — for the Big 12.
Apparently they didn't like THAT house, either.
Just wondering, has anyone at TCU ever considered just buying a motor home?
BYU broke its silence (sort of) on conference expansion Saturday when athletics director Tom Holmoe told the media that the Cougars had not been extended an offer by the Big 12.
But he didn't answer questions about whether BYU plans to play in a BCS conference, what he has been hearing from other conferences, or whether the Cougars even want to be included.
He did say that "with TCU joining the Big 12 as the 10th member of the conference, we thought it was a good time to talk."
In a, you know, non-talkative sort of way.
Peace of mind
San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is saying QB Alex Smith is having a great season, in large part because the ex-Ute has "a calm demeanor" while in the pocket.
Speaking of pockets, Smith has approximately $50 million in his. Isn't that reason enough to be calm?
Boise State president Bob Kustra told ESPN.com that his school is looking at all its options, with a main consideration being AQ status for the postseason. Reports are saying the Broncos are about to be invited to join the Big East.
"In the meantime," he said, "this is a great place for Boise State to be, in the Mountain West Conference. We're going to enjoy every minute of it."
All five of 'em, in fact.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 57
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 38
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34