"In order to load the box and play man coverage, you've got to be able to cover — one-on-one," Whittingham said. "So if we couldn't cover one-on-one on the outside, we wouldn't be able to load the box up like we do."
This week, Utah's defense faces a California offense that has had more success passing (299.3 ypg) than rushing (132.7 ypg) the ball this season. The Golden Bears are averaging 436.5 yards of total offense.
"It's definitely going to be hard-nosed on defense and we've got to come out and play defensive-sound football," Walker said.
Getting it done
How the Utes rank nationally and in the Pac-12:
Category Pac-12 NCAA
Rushing defense 2nd 13th
(94.5 yards per game)
Total defense 2nd 25th
(326.3 yards per game)
Scoring defense 2nd 28th
(20.5 points per game)
Pass efficiency 2nd 31st
Passing defense 3rd 76th
(231.8 yards per game)
Utes on the air
Utah (3-3, 0-3 Pac-12) at California (3-3, 0-3)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
AT&T Park, San Francisco
Radio: 700 AM
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 80
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 67
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43