"In order to load the box and play man coverage, you've got to be able to cover — one-on-one," Whittingham said. "So if we couldn't cover one-on-one on the outside, we wouldn't be able to load the box up like we do."
This week, Utah's defense faces a California offense that has had more success passing (299.3 ypg) than rushing (132.7 ypg) the ball this season. The Golden Bears are averaging 436.5 yards of total offense.
"It's definitely going to be hard-nosed on defense and we've got to come out and play defensive-sound football," Walker said.
Getting it done
How the Utes rank nationally and in the Pac-12:
Category Pac-12 NCAA
Rushing defense 2nd 13th
(94.5 yards per game)
Total defense 2nd 25th
(326.3 yards per game)
Scoring defense 2nd 28th
(20.5 points per game)
Pass efficiency 2nd 31st
Passing defense 3rd 76th
(231.8 yards per game)
Utes on the air
Utah (3-3, 0-3 Pac-12) at California (3-3, 0-3)
Saturday, 5 p.m. MT
AT&T Park, San Francisco
Radio: 700 AM
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20