Laura Seitz, Deseret News
I am happy to see that the current occupy Pioneer Park protests are being tolerated with acceptance by local authorities. It seems the movement has been fomented as a reaction to the tea party as much as a protest to the lack of law enforcement of Wall Street miscreants.
It's ironic how history often repeats itself. Much like double-breasted, pin-stripe suits and paisley patterns, the Great Depression has returned in the form of the so called Great Recession.
In 1929 citizens camped out in public to protest declining economic conditions. Today, they protest the injustices of a political system run amuck by moneyed interests. No doubt the Hoovervilles of 1929 have reborn in the form of Bushburgs 2011.
Salt Lake City
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- Dan Liljenquist: Being good for goodness sake
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 62
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 43
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30