Third, my faith teaches me that God loves all his children no matter where they live and no matter what church they attend, if any at all. America will defend freedom around the world, wisely and with well-defined purpose.
These may not be the politically correct answers, and it's a safe bet that Romney pays media consultants, image shapers and communications gurus big money to tell him why further addressing the "Mormon issue" is a bad idea.
To be clear, Romney's faith shouldn't dominate the debate, but it belongs in the discussion, just as it does for any other candidate of any political party.
We don't care what religion they claim, but we do care how it impacts their values system.
In Romney's case, to suggest questions about his faith are irrelevant or unfair misses the essence of who he is.
The next time he's asked, Romney should answer, "Yes, my faith affects how I would lead, just as Barack Obama's, Rick Perry's or Herman Cain's faith affects each of them."
The approach might not win any new votes where opposition to his candidacy and faith are well entrenched. But to those on the fence or those reluctantly leaning his way, his candor might make the difference between moving to Pennsylvania Avenue and dusting off his corporate resume.
Let's not be afraid to ask the questions of Mitt Romney or any other candidate for any other office.
May they each have the courage to answer.
Jason F. Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of eight books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters" and "The Wedding Letters." He can be reached at email@example.com or www.jasonfwright.com
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- Mormon family featured on Boston's WCVB...
- Match the Relief Society presidents to their...
- Eliza R. Snow is more than a poetess as she...
- 'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in...
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 80
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 70
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 35
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 29
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 27
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 21
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 20