Rich Addicks, Associated Press
ATLANTA — Michael Turner ran for 139 yards and two touchdowns, Matt Ryan scored the tie-breaking TD with 7 minutes remaining, and Corey Peters came up with a huge interception, helping the Atlanta Falcons seal a 31-17 victory over the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.
Cam Newton, who grew up just a few miles south of the Georgia Dome, wowed the crowd most of the day. He threw for 237 yards and ran for a 14-yard touchdown that put the Panthers (1-5) ahead 17-14 heading to the final quarter.
Atlanta (3-3) responded with Matt Bryant's tying field goal and Ryan's 1-yard sneak. Then Newton made his biggest mistake of the day, throwing a screen pass that was picked off by Peters, a 305-pound defensive tackle. The Falcons drove for Turner's clinching touchdown with 1:56 left.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 46
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45