BOISE — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 3-2 Saturday night at CenturyLink Arena.
Utah took an early 2-0 lead with goals from Matt Reber and John Negrin 3:32 apart at 7:40 and 11:12 of the first period. Reber chased down a puck off a turnover, created by Chris Donovan, and rapped home a goal. Negrin blasted home a shot off a Utah face-off win with Armstrong and LoVecchio picking up assists.
The two teams traded power-play goals in the second period and Utah led 3-1 after 40 minutes. Following a timeout called by coach Kevin Colley, the Grizzlies took advantage of a five-on-three situation as Justin Dowling slammed in a shot on a rebound. Podge Turnbull picked up his first pro point on the play.
In the third period, the Steelheads scored an early shorthanded goal, but the Grizzlies held on with an aggressive style and good goaltending.
Utah also blocked numerous shots on a final penalty-killing situation that started with 3:29 left.
Andrew Engelage stopped 21 of 23 shots to earn the win in goal.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37