Embrace technology. Dramatic technological advances create enormous opportunities to customize the learning experience and connect more students with world-class instruction at scale.
Focus on advantages. Institutions of higher learning especially must learn that they cannot be all things to all students. Schools should build upon their comparative and competitive advantages before taking on new programs.
Engage students. Effective learning is not accomplished by watching the "sage on the stage," but instead through active and collaborative learning that requires students to prepare, engage and reflect.
Let us be clear. Society needs to focus more intently on improving the educational outcomes for all our children. But with scarce resources, that focus and attention will have to come as much through creativity and innovation as through spending.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- Letter: American billionaires
- Letter: Golden goose
- My view: Ask a veteran about their health care
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Letter: American billionaires 35
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 33
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 29
- President should not act without... 28