The Commercial Appeal, Karen Pulfer Focht) MAGS OUT; NO SALES; TV OUT; ONLINE OUT; MEMPHIS OUT, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — With one year left in the race for the White House, a handful of presidential candidates are planning to file key disclosure reports Saturday that will offer the first major picture into the financial health of all Republican campaigns.
The financial reports are expected to show how flush the GOP candidates are with cash — or how nearly broke they are — heading into the final weeks before contests in key primary states.
Two of the top Republican contenders, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Texas Gov. Rick Perry, have brought in more than $30 million combined. Meanwhile, candidates like Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and businessman Herman Cain are expected to bring in less than that.
The new reports will reveal the campaigns' major donors, where money has been spent since July and if the candidate took out any loans to finance what is likely to become a costly presidential election.
Reports on two of the biggest money-raisers so far — Romney and President Barack Obama — reveal millions in contributions from party devotees and small-dollar donors alike.
At the same time, reports filed late Friday offered a mixed picture of the campaign field, with Obama raising more than $70 million between his campaign and the Democratic Party. Some candidates are saddled with debt, such as former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman and former candidate Tim Pawlenty, who both owe hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Perry, Bachman and Cain have until 11:59 p.m. EDT Saturday to file their first presidential campaign reports with the Federal Election Commission.
Cain's campaign said in a statement released late Friday that it had raised more than $2.8 million during the three months that ended Sept. 30 and had no debt.
Follow Jack Gillum at http://twitter.com/jackgillum
- Calliop, Jag and Tintin: Here's a look at 20...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- What you think of welfare program depends on...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- India government likely to review... 25
- What you think of welfare program... 25
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 23
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 17
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 15
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 13