Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
The Utah football team came back from a disastrous start to defeat Pitt 26-14 in an intersectional clash Saturday at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh.
The Utes spotted the Panthers two first-quarter scores on special teams plays, then scored 26 straight points to even their record at 3-3.
Coleman Peterson booted four field goals, including a 45-yarder in the fourth quarter, while John White rushed for a career-high 174 yards.
Pitt couldn't move the ball on offense all day and had one last chance when it got the ball back with 1:36 left in the game. However, Utah's Derrick Shelby picked off Trey Anderson's pass and ran 21 yards with the clinching touchdown.
The Utah defense played great, holding the Panthers to just 120 total yards. Ray Graham, who is second in the nation in rushing with a 149-yard average, ended with just 46 yards rushing on the day.
Two special teams touchdowns gave Pitt a quick 14-3 lead in the first quarter.
Just after the Utes scored on a methodical 73-yard opening drive that resulted in a 23-yard Peterson field goal, Pitt's Buddy Jackson went 98 yards with the ensuing kickoff to put the Panthers up 7-3 with 4:52 left in the first quarter. The Ute coverage was good and appeared to stop Jackson inside the 20, but he bounced outside and went untouched for the final 80 yards.
On Utah's next possession, Pitt scored again, this time on a punt block by Andrew Taglianetti as Antwuan Reed picked up the ball and went the final seven yards.
Utah came back with a 34-yard field goal by Coleman Peterson and a 33-yard pass from Jon Hays to Luke Matthews with 2:07 left in the half.
In the third quarter, the Utes took a 16-14 lead on a 39-yard field goal by Peterson, then added a 45-yard field goal with 7:45 left.
Utah plays at Cal Saturday as it gets back into Pac-12 play.
Read Dirk Facer's game preview here.
Follow along with our live game blog here.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 126
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 70
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 69
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 59
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 31