The list included two figures connected to Solyndra LLC, the California solar company that received a $528 million federal loan and then later declared bankruptcy, prompting a federal investigation. Steve Spinner, an Energy Department adviser, raised at least $500,000 for the president, while Steve Westly, a venture capitalist who was an unpaid adviser to the department, raised between $200,000 and $500,000.
Other candidates, meanwhile, are saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
Huntsman owes about $890,000, even after giving his campaign more than $2 million of his own money. Huntsman's campaign on Friday was set to report fundraising totals that showed he had $327,000 in the bank, showing difficulty for Huntsman's fundraising and suggesting why he shut down his national headquarters in Orlando, Fla., last month.
"Gov. Huntsman has the best record and boldest vision for leading this country," spokesman Tim Miller said, "and our campaign will have the resources necessary to ensure he will win New Hampshire and go on to the nomination."
Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who dropped out of the race in August, is still deep in debt. A fundraising report covering July through September shows he owes $453,000 for the campaign. All told, Pawlenty raised about $5.4 million but had to give some of the money back because he could tap it only if he had won his party's nomination.
Associated Press writers Philip Elliott in Breezewood, Pa., and Brian Bakst in St. Paul, Minn., contributed to this story.
Follow Jack Gillum at http://twitter.com/jackgillum
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe over...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 7
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 6
- It's not just young people —... 6