The list included two figures connected to Solyndra LLC, the California solar company that received a $528 million federal loan and then later declared bankruptcy, prompting a federal investigation. Steve Spinner, an Energy Department adviser, raised at least $500,000 for the president, while Steve Westly, a venture capitalist who was an unpaid adviser to the department, raised between $200,000 and $500,000.
Other candidates, meanwhile, are saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.
Huntsman owes about $890,000, even after giving his campaign more than $2 million of his own money. Huntsman's campaign on Friday was set to report fundraising totals that showed he had $327,000 in the bank, showing difficulty for Huntsman's fundraising and suggesting why he shut down his national headquarters in Orlando, Fla., last month.
"Gov. Huntsman has the best record and boldest vision for leading this country," spokesman Tim Miller said, "and our campaign will have the resources necessary to ensure he will win New Hampshire and go on to the nomination."
Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who dropped out of the race in August, is still deep in debt. A fundraising report covering July through September shows he owes $453,000 for the campaign. All told, Pawlenty raised about $5.4 million but had to give some of the money back because he could tap it only if he had won his party's nomination.
Associated Press writers Philip Elliott in Breezewood, Pa., and Brian Bakst in St. Paul, Minn., contributed to this story.
Follow Jack Gillum at http://twitter.com/jackgillum
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- The Latest on prophet cartoon case: 1 man's...
- Defeated boxer Pacquiao keeps faith, as do...
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 41
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina... 19
- More Americans spending at least half... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces... 11
- Latest on police-custody death: 53... 9
- 5 faith facts about Ben Carson: retired... 9