Jacquelyn Martin, File, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is following through on his longtime plan to take his two daughters to see the new monument to Martin Luther King Jr.
Two days before speaking at the monument's dedication, Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and daughters Malia and Sasha made a surprise visit to the new memorial to the slain civil rights leader on the National Mall.
Five years ago, then-Sen. Obama talked at a ground-breaking ceremony for the memorial about what it would be like to take his daughters to see it. He would be able to explain the importance of King and who he was. The country's first black president will be a featured speaker at Sunday's memorial dedication.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26