Tom Mihalek, Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — Andrej Meszaros scored the go-ahead goal in the third period to keep the Philadelphia Flyers undefeated with a 5-4 victory over the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday night.
James van Riemsdyk, Claude Giroux, Chris Pronger and Jakub Voracek scored for the Flyers in their home opener and goalie Ilya Bryzgalov won his third straight start.
The Flyers have been a needed bright spot in a city suffering through a major sports hangover because of the Phillies' unexpected elimination in the NL division series and the Eagles' miserable 1-4 start that has coach Andy Reid under fire.
They delivered in front of nearly 20,000 fans badly needing a reason to cheer.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- BYU men's basketball: Winder steps up big in...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 107
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43