Tom Mihalek, Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — Andrej Meszaros scored the go-ahead goal in the third period to keep the Philadelphia Flyers undefeated with a 5-4 victory over the Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday night.
James van Riemsdyk, Claude Giroux, Chris Pronger and Jakub Voracek scored for the Flyers in their home opener and goalie Ilya Bryzgalov won his third straight start.
The Flyers have been a needed bright spot in a city suffering through a major sports hangover because of the Phillies' unexpected elimination in the NL division series and the Eagles' miserable 1-4 start that has coach Andy Reid under fire.
They delivered in front of nearly 20,000 fans badly needing a reason to cheer.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49