Mason also made some critical comments two weeks ago, saying the team had "cracks" that needed to be fixed. Along with Burress and Holmes, he was also mentioned in a Daily News report last Sunday that said the wide receivers had met with Ryan individually during the last few weeks to complain about Schottenheimer's system. All three denied the report, as did Ryan — and the team took the rare step of issuing a statement to also say it was untrue.
Ryan had what he called "a private conversation" with Mason last week, but both he and Tannenbaum reiterated Wednesday that Mason's locker room comments did not play into their decisions.
Tannenbaum said Mason was "initially surprised" he was being traded to Houston, where he can help the Texans' offense while Andre Johnson recovers from a right hamstring injury. Coincidentally, if he plays this Sunday for the Texans, Mason's first game will be back in Baltimore.
His locker was already cleaned out and his nameplate removed from the Jets' locker room, and Mason had replaced a picture of himself in a Jets uniform with one of him looking dapper in a suit.
"A setback is a set up for something great!! I'm Hungrier than ever....," he wrote on his Twitter page.
He didn't practice with the Texans on Wednesday, but coach Gary Kubiak said Mason still might play. Kubiak and Mason planned to meet later Wednesday.
"He's played for a few friends of mine, so I know what he knows, terminology-wise," Kubiak said. "I've got to see how quick I can get him ready to help us in this game. He could (play Sunday), but let me spend a day or two with him and see where he's at, and how much of our stuff overlaps with what he's been doing. Hopefully, that will happen."
With his 7-yard catch Sunday, Mason became the 18th player in NFL history to reach 12,000 yards receiving.
"We had a chance to go get a guy who still runs very well, even though he's played a long time in this league," Kubiak said. "He's been very effective in this league, and we feel like we can catch him up really fast. That was a big key."
AP Sports Writer Chris Duncan in Houston contributed to this report.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31