Jets say they traded Mason for play, not comments

By Dennis Waszak Jr.

Associated Press

Published: Wednesday, Oct. 12 2011 12:00 a.m. MDT

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Derrick Mason came to the New York Jets expecting to be a major contributor for what he hoped would be a Super Bowl run to cap a terrific career.

Instead, his role was diminished after just five weeks and the veteran wide receiver was sent packing to Houston when the Jets completed a trade with the Texans on Wednesday for an undisclosed conditional draft pick.

"Things didn't work out on the field with Derrick," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "With that said, we were committed to trying to make it work and get him to play better on the field at a level that he was accustomed to and what we were expecting."

Tannenbaum said he received a call from the Texans on Tuesday inquiring about Mason's availability, and the teams agreed to a deal later that night — a day after coach Rex Ryan said the wide receiver was "going to still be a part of what we do." If Houston hadn't called, Tannenbaum said, Mason would still be a member of the Jets.

"He would have been here for the balance of the season," Tannenbaum said. "He has a contract for next year. The fact that Rex knew him was one of the reasons we went after him."

The move, reportedly for a seventh-round pick next year, comes with the Jets (2-3) in the midst of a three-game losing streak and dealing with lots of criticism directed at quarterback Mark Sanchez, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and the rest of the offense.

"At times, I think our offense has looked productive, efficient," Tannenbaum said. "At other times, we've all seen it, it hasn't been to the level that we hope or expect. With that said, I believe in the guys in the locker room."

He and Ryan also denied that they were sending a message to the team by letting Mason go this early.

"It's not a wakeup call to me," wide receiver Plaxico Burress said. "It's not the first time that it's happened. I've been around this business for a long time and I've seen some of the best come and go. And we'll keep on playing football."

Mason signed with the team in August to high expectations, with Ryan — who was with him in Baltimore for several years — predicting at least 80 catches for him as the No. 3 receiver behind Burress and Santonio Holmes. But he struggled early with 13 receptions for 115 yards, and was benched in favor of rookie Jeremy Kerley in New York's 30-21 loss at New England on Sunday.

"When we looked at all the factors, as far as what was best for us," Tannenbaum said, "that's the decision we arrived at."

Ryan repeatedly said he has "a ton of respect for Derrick," but added that the team simply couldn't look past the development of Kerley, a fifth-round pick out of TCU.

"It's a part of the business," Kerley said. "I wish him the best of luck. He's a great player, and he'll be great other places. I'm just glad I could step up and be the man in the third spot."

The deal ended a quick stint in New York for the 37-year-old Mason, who spent the last six seasons with Baltimore. He signed a two-year deal with the Jets in early August, choosing them over a return with the Ravens or the Tennessee Titans. He had been released by Baltimore before training camp and was expected to fill the spot of the departed Jerricho Cotchery.

But it appeared he wasn't picking up the offense as quickly as the team expected.

"Why he wasn't successful on the field, there are probably a lot of factors that could go into that," Tannenbaum said.

Mason acknowledged when he signed with New York that it would be tough to leave his two children back home in Nashville. He flew back home every week when the team had an off day — an agreement the team made with Mason when they signed him.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere